Samsung unveils Galaxy Camera running Android 4.1 Jelly Bean

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Samsung has introduced the Galaxy Camera less than a week after Nikon unveiled their first smart camera powered by an Android operating system. This point-and-shoot digital camera includes a quad-core 1.4GHz processor, 8GB of internal storage and an SD card slot – all running on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean.

The idea here is that an Android-based camera will allow users to share photos using Wi-Fi / 3G to social networks and the like as quickly as they can from a smartphone without the poor image quality. Mobile phone camera technology has come a long way in the past few years but they’re still no match for a decent digital camera, especially in low-light environments.

samsung galaxy camera android jelly bean android digital camera jelly bean quad-core processor

The Galaxy Camera measures 2.7-inches by 0.75-inchs and weighs around 10.7 ounces. Inside is a 16-megapixel CMOS sensor capable of ISO settings between 100 and 3,200 that gathers data from a 21x optical touch zoom lens. Of course, if you can’t be bothered with touch controls, the camera supports voice commands to snap photos and zoom in and out. There’s a 4.8-inch HD LCD screen on the rear used to preview and frame photos as the camera lacks an optical viewfinder.

As is standard with most consumer point-and-shoot digital cameras, the Galaxy Camera includes a number of in-camera editing features as well as the ability to shoot video in full HD resolution. Another nifty feature is the ability to automatically back up photos to the cloud.

Pricing and availability haven’t been released yet but for comparison purposes, Nikon’s Android-powered Coolpix S800c is shipping next month for $350.

Photo courtesy Digital Photograph Review.

Permalink to story.

If only it could make phone calls, I would replace my Galaxy nexus with it :)

Watch out.....its rectangular device with rounded corners...maybe apple will...3..2..1..oh wait.....that patente its not owned by nature anymore

I've found that the 8MP camera on the Galaxy S2 is good enough for my day to day snapper, sick quality for a phone and I'm sure even the new ones like the S3 are even better. If I'm going to go out and actually take pictures though I'd definitely take something better, but for the most part smartphone cameras are the bomb.

The optical zoom is the biggest feature I normally need and don't have. This one is nice. Skype and Google voice your calls.

And yet with all that, it's photo quality still won't beat a DSLR dedicated camera, thats what companies should be focusing on (no pun intended) a pocket camera with DSLR picture quality, all these pocket camera including ones with pointless OS's installed on them are all rip off's to the technically ignorant who actually believe they are tacking an HD photograph, put a DSLR shot taken picture against any of the top pocket camera side by side on a 27" iMac or high quality PC screen and tell me what one is better especially when you zoom in to photoshop them or in general editing/zooming.

All this is for is for people whom are Facebook drones whom feel then need to upload every photo they have ever taken to Facebook.

And yet with all that, it's photo quality still won't beat a DSLR dedicated camera, thats what companies should be focusing on (no pun intended) a pocket camera with DSLR picture quality, all these pocket camera including ones with pointless OS's installed on them are all rip off's to the technically ignorant who actually believe they are tacking an HD photograph, put a DSLR shot taken picture against any of the top pocket camera side by side on a 27" iMac or high quality PC screen and tell me what one is better especially when you zoom in to photoshop them or in general editing/zooming.

All this is for is for people whom are Facebook drones whom feel then need to upload every photo they have ever taken to Facebook.

Thing is, it's not that easy to do it seems like. DSLR's aren't made from pixie dust like so many other things in the tech world. They don't take 43 Megapixel pictures and condense them to 5 MP. They rely on big sensor sizes and major lenses and so on. So for now, it seems like the world is stuck with gigantor professional cameras.

(BTW, the pixie dust comment wasn't being a smartass towards you or anything)

Thing is, it's not that easy to do it seems like. DSLR's aren't made from pixie dust like so many other things in the tech world. They don't take 43 Megapixel pictures and condense them to 5 MP. They rely on big sensor sizes and major lenses and so on. So for now, it seems like the world is stuck with gigantor professional cameras.

(BTW, the pixie dust comment wasn't being a smartass towards you or anything)

Haha I didn't think you was but yeah your right, I just think this is all gimmicks to sell people something they don't really need, it's nice to have a camera that has a nice fluid intuitive interface yes, (But at the minute we do currently have this) but I can only imagine like most Android powered devices it will get the dreaded slow down issues, but I suppose on the other hand it might not unless people start hacking/installing things like angry birds on it and other useless apps you don't need on a camera.

Sunny87: There do exist small cameras with big sensors (APS-C)
The Sigma DP range, Fujifilm FinePix X100 & Leica X1

But they are more expensive than normal entry level DSLR cameras and all lack optical zoom (They have prime lenses)

I wonder what patent violations are there with this thing?
If Samsung was a Football team, which would it be?

(A) Pirates
(B) Steelers
(c) Buccaneers

Ans ______________

Actually it might not be a bad idea to have a camera on Android. I cant really speak to the benifits of such a device. But it might allow ppl to sync up their camera,phone,and tablet in a way that would allow you to show any picture you have taken with those devices. Otherwise its just Master Google trying to make more money off of the less tech savvy ppl. With Christmas rolling up on us fast, any information they give us about the camera will be a make or break for sales. Keep your fingers crossed!!

Back