TechSpot

Samsung unveils Galaxy Gear 2 and Gear 2 Neo smartwatches

By Shawn Knight
Feb 23, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Mobile World Congress is now upon us and Samsung is wasting no time in showcasing their latest wares. The South Korean electronics giant on Sunday announced two new smartwatches at the annual trade show in Barcelona, Spain.

Read more

2. OliTheG

OliTheG TS Member Posts: 61   +25

:O

A WHOLE 2 DAY BATTERY LIFE? ON A FUZZY, UNSHARP SCREEN THAT YOU CAN'T LOOK AT OUTSIDE?

omg <mfw besterest watch ever

I love how everybody bangs on about smart watches as the greatest things ever, but they are literally 1200 times (when you compare battery life) worse than a watch you could buy anywhere for £20.

3. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 977   +87

Fuzzy? It's resolution is better than that of a Nintendo DSi, and on a smaller screen. Used at the same distance it should look pretty smart. With the watch in outdoor mode and in direct sunlight the image is very easy to see and read.

If you wanted a watch just to tell the time, I'm sure there are better and cheaper alternatives. But I guess I agree with the sentiment of your message, that the Gear 2 watch is targeted for a narrow market.

All around, I think these are good improvements. IR control, bluetooth music player, pedomiter, and a 2 day battery are things that I'd use. But I'm wondering what the price will be.

H3llion likes this.
  4. H3llion

H3llion TechSpot Paladin Posts: 973   +99

It should have a flashlight at the front since that can be useful in certain situations when you have no other light source. Camera on a Smartwatch? No thanks, unless it's very compact.

license27kill likes this.
  5. Nobina

Nobina TS Booster Posts: 413   +92

I don't see a reason why should I have this. It sorta does stuff that smartphone does, but it's not as functional. I use wrist watch to look at the time, nothing less, therefore I have no use from this.

license27kill likes this.
  6. OliTheG

OliTheG TS Member Posts: 61   +25

Oh yes, of course, but I'm comparing it to an actual watch. Where you can't see pixels if the time isn't 12,3,6,9 hours and 0,15,30,45 minutes.

The point is, is that people want a watch to tell the time. If it can't properly tell the time, then I just can't see it ever taking off (with the exception of the hipsters buying it if Apple release one, lets be honest)

7. SchrödingersCat

SchrödingersCat TS Rookie

I make such little use of my cell phone as it is that I could see it being replaced by a slightly more competent version of these things.

8. VitalyT

VitalyT TS Evangelist Posts: 1,930   +569

Could be a better DPI, compared to modern phones. But wait, this way Samsung will roll out an update, call it a brand new product, with just an increased DPI.

Seriously, they are about to roll out S5, 5.25" with 2,560 x 1,440, and at the same time offering 1.63" device with just 320x320. That's pathetic!

And the images are fake, all photo-shopped, because in reality you will be able to see individual pixels pretty well.

9. HaMsTeYr

HaMsTeYr TS Maniac Posts: 388

320 x 320 on 1.63" Display = 277 PPI.

Galaxy Note 2 with 1280x720 on 5.3" Display = 277 PPI.

I don't know what you people are complaining about TBH.

That and every promotional marketing image of a mobile phone is more than likely a photoshopped image, that may not even be real, I.e. 3d Rendered.

I'm not sure if just hate for Samsung or just trolling.

Burty117 likes this.
  10. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,183   +767

Apart from telling time, what other useful things can it do? I guess we'll find out a bit more at 12.45 today.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  11. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,337   +103

All in all this is a nieche product, don't expect everyone to like it or even try to like it.

As it is with a whole 2 day battery life this doesnt sound attractive at all, also a camera... why???!

12. Nobina

Nobina TS Booster Posts: 413   +92

Did you check the screen size? 320x320 is low for a 4 inch display, but for screen this small it just about fits..

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.