TechSpot

Samsung Z is the world's first smartphone powered by Tizen

By Shawn Knight
Jun 2, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Samsung is officially the first out of the gate with a Tizen-based smartphone known as the Samsung Z. 

Read more

2. Moxiy

Moxiy TS Member Posts: 38

The interface looks more like android to me... I'll be waiting for your review of it to find out how different it is from android..

3. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,514   +2,058

Meh! I doubt it'll be a game changer but who knows. I'll keep half an eye on it when that half is not too busy.

4. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,561   +862

Would have been nice for a brief explaination of what tizen is. :p

5. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,754   +1,107

It's Samsung's mobile OS, and it's never been on a phone before, so we don't really know how close it is to Android. Samsung is sick of paying Google's licensing fees for Android, so they made their own OS. Given how Samsung's Touchwiz UI isn't all that great and from what I've read in reviews it's the only reason there's any lag to the Galaxy S3, 4, and even the 5, I'd expect an entire phone that runs Samsung's software to be 2nd rate. Perhaps calling it the Z is appropriate as the Tizen may be the last phone we'd want to buy.

I do assume this thing will run Android apps, right?

ikesmasher likes this.
  6. Nobina

Nobina TS Evangelist Posts: 860   +340

It looks like LG L9 and interface is pure TouchWiz, which not many people like.

If somehow Tizen got so popular they could copy Android and do the same licensing fees like Android and Samsung would have to find another OS to stick with.

7. Jamesbrah

Jamesbrah TS Enthusiast Posts: 59   +11

Troll?

Android is free.. Google doesn't collect licensing fees.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2014
  8. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,754   +1,107