Samsung's 3G-equipped Gear S smartwatch to land in the US this fall

Shawn Knight

Staff member

samsung gear t-mobile sprint verizon att smartwatch gear s

The Galaxy Note 4 won’t be the only new Samsung product hitting retail this fall. The Korean tech giant has just announced its Gear S smartwatch will also be coming to the US soon and will be available through AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile and Verizon.

The Gear S was first announced nearly a month ago as the sixth smartwatch in Samsung’s Gear lineup and by all accounts, it appears to be one of the more compelling options to come down the pipeline. It’s a bit different from most other offerings as it features a curved 2.0-inch AMOLED display designed to better fit the wearer’s wrist.

samsung gear t-mobile sprint verizon att smartwatch gear s

Under the proverbial hood is a dual-core CPU clocked at 1GHz, 512MB of RAM and 4GB of internal storage. It also features IP67 certification for dust and water resistance and will draw power from a 300mAh battery which Samsung promises can last for up to two days on a single charge.

It’s also unique in that it’ll ship running Samsung’s Tizen mobile operating system instead of Google’s new Android Wear OS. And unlike other smartwatches that rely on Bluetooth connectivity to sync up with your smartphone, the Gear S includes its own 3G radio so it can pair with your phone even when out of Bluetooth range.

Samsung will load the watch with all of the usual sensors and fitness apps including S Health, Nike+ Running and even Nokia Here Maps for navigation.

The company still hasn’t filled us in on pricing although I expect that information and more to be delivered in the near future.

Permalink to story.

Smart watches look too nerdy for me to wear, maybe if they could make them look like a real watch. If smart watches take off, I'm sure we'll see some nice real looking ones eventually.

A few ideas off the top of my head:

1. Use leather / metal band (plus metal body)
2. Leave a gap between the screen and the glass (like a real watch)
3. Screensaver that looks like a real watch face (with ultra high pixel density so it looks real)

A few ideas off the top of my head:

1. Use leather / metal band (plus metal body)
2. Leave a gap between the screen and the glass (like a real watch)
3. Screensaver that looks like a real watch face (with ultra high pixel density so it looks real)
Technically all of those currently exist :p
look at the moto 360

It looks really nice and I think it will do really well. But my question is "will it be water proof or resistant" like the S5 is? It would be nice to not have worry about washing hands, playing with dogs the water or just even taking quick shower.

Back