Samsung's Galaxy Note 7 upgrade program confirms there will be a Note 8 next year

midian182

Staff member

Calling the Galaxy Note 7 debacle a disaster for Samsung is an understatement. After ending production of the device, it was suggested that we could have seen the last handset featuring the Note name. But it seems this isn’t the case.

In a statement released today, Samsung announced it is attempting to appease South Korean Note 7 owners by offering the ability to upgrade to a Galaxy S8 or Note 8, providing they trade in their potentially dangerous handset for a Galaxy S7 now.

Note 7 owners who wish to participate in the offer need only pay half the cost of the Galaxy S7 device. They sign a two-year contract for the phone when joining the Galaxy Upgrade Program, but can exchange the S7 for one of the new handsets - for free - after 12 months of paying the monthly fee, instead of the usual 24 months. If anyone on the program wants a S8 or Note 8 sooner, they just need to pay off the remainder of what they owe.

While it’s only launching in South Korea initially, Samsung said the program’s availability in other countries will depend on each area’s situation. Members will also get a fast track after-sales service and receive 50 percent discount on display repairs, which can be used twice. The deadline to take up the offer is November 30.

The Note 7 is expected to cost Samsung around $17 billion in recall costs, lost sales, and lawsuits. The company will no doubt hope that offering incentives such as the upgrade program and financial loyalty rewards will go some way toward repairing its damaged reputation.

Permalink to story.

So, I wonder if they will let them put a model in the GTA-5 like the last one? It made a great bomb!

I have a Note 4 which ATT FINALLY upgraded to 6.0.1. If Samsung returns to a non-glass chassis, replaceable battery and SD card slot, I'll gladly buy a Note 8 when they are available. Otherwise, I'll be looking at a Pixel or Windows phone, whichever one of them will has an on-board stylus by then. I have big fingers and just need one to tap-type. I really don't need Samsung's auxiliary note-taking bloatware apps.

I'll bet (as I suspect will a major manufacturer) someone will capitalize on Samsung's current fiery misfortune by making a successor to the Note line.

WISH LIST
It would also be nice if a fast-enough CPU and sufficient RAM could be used to allow Nuance's onboard speech recognition software to run (and store data in a non-cloud environment) on large screen phone. Windows phone with Win 10 should be relatively easy to implement this on and with the current Internet insecurity, it should be a no-brainer and an easy sale. But, when has MS followed intelligent logic?:

I have a Note 4 which ATT FINALLY upgraded to 6.0.1. If Samsung returns to a non-glass chassis, replaceable battery and SD card slot, I'll gladly buy a Note 8 when they are available. Otherwise, I'll be looking at a Pixel or Windows phone, whichever one of them will has an on-board stylus by then. I have big fingers and just need one to tap-type. I really don't need Samsung's auxiliary note-taking bloatware apps.

I'll bet (as I suspect will a major manufacturer) someone will capitalize on Samsung's current fiery misfortune by making a successor to the Note line.

WISH LIST
It would also be nice if a fast-enough CPU and sufficient RAM could be used to allow Nuance's onboard speech recognition software to run (and store data in a non-cloud environment) on large screen phone. Windows phone with Win 10 should be relatively easy to implement this on and with the current Internet insecurity, it should be a no-brainer and an easy sale. But, when has MS followed intelligent logic?:
With the Pixel you're flat outta luck with removable battery, SD storage and glass back. With a Windows 10 mobile phone, you're flat outta luck, PERIOD. If what you want is a Note type device then I'd say you're best off waiting for the N8 or roll the dice on something like the LG V20 if you don't want to wait.

depend on each area’s situation.

I'd say Samsung should implement this in the US due to all the recent problems.
Nope, and The US (Apple's dirty stronghold) should be the LAST country getting any Samsung flagship phone. So after 6-12 months released elsewhere, let the US taste them. Samsung should make all those paid evil drama queen hard to operate. It's not really funny if 6-12 months running well & smooth globally, and then all of sudden wave of paid fake drama coming from the US (aka the last of Rotten Apple's dirty stronghold)

PS: In article of NYT, Samsung is said can't replicate the issue as to why Galaxy Note 7 could melt. Mashable can’t also perform it, even it tried by charging Galaxy Note 7 4 days continuously.

Well, perhaps Samsung - or anyone genuinely trying to find the real cause- can't, because only the US media can, including the Verge (iVerge)

Remember how the whole world can't find IRAQI WMD, despite the US media telling the otherwise before IRAQ was destroyed?

The Verge has been the first and foremost media telling Samsung explosions, as if it knew before it happened.

But the funny thing is, the Verge didn't post anything about iPhone explosions -at all, even though there are many cases, including a guy suffered from actual third-degree burn. That guy, Gareth, in Aussie did suffered from serious burn - not the Klering guy who said 'vomiting black' but refused to give the device to Samsung. (???) I thought the Verge is the most prominent media that care most about consumer safety #sarcasmintended

Lesson will be: Do not sell the next Note in the US. Just let them use iPhone without 3.5mm jack or even a screen. You just don't know how dirty the competition can be in the US when something is considered mighty opponent to the -now low sales-iPhone. And the biased sensationalist media in the US. Samsung might need to do little investigation about the Verge.

And PPS: Fake reports are not that uncommon : Just google samsung note 7 fake reports

And rigging Note 7 is quite easy for someone with ill-intention (sabotage mission): Just youtube how to open galaxy note 7

And there’s something fishy about from the Verge reporters, Jordan Golson.
In the past few days he seemed very busy gathering news about Samsung Note 7 being explosive devices. He seemed to be the first guy getting all the information as if he can predict where and when the Note 7 going to be melt. He’s the first guy reporting Note 7 melted in Southwest plane and got the image of the box (he also reported the airplane passenger changed his melted Note 7 with iPhone 7 immediately - pretty much like an advertising). In his Twitter, Oct 5th, Golson tweeted “They’re going to ban Galaxy Note 7’s from all planes” you just wait. Such vow seemed like his personal quest.

Interestingly:
Golson is a journalist mainly discussing about ELECTRIC car (Tesla car)
Tesla car also experienced battery combusting.
Golson is a fan of iPhone (check his FB).

Therefore, Golson might understand how battery could fail - and how to replicate it.
So, is there a strange connection here?
Is there a sabotage operation from a Apple fan boy who also understand about electric devices?

Finally and strangely, assuming Jordan Golson really cares about safety of users, he intentionally “forgot” about iPhone explosions. Although- unlike the so called Samsung so called melting, iPhone explosion are causing serious burn in leg, scar in face, and burning car. Now those are legit! Would you fake a report by burning your leg and scarring your face? Yet, just like Golson from the Verge, US media kept silent about iPhone explosions. Just like US media kept silent when iPhone explode in Australian airlines.

Well this should have been offered world wide..
I had to swap out a decent note for a lower grade phone and stuck in contract for 2 years ty phone server

Have a Note 4. It's great except battery life required a big accessory battery. If they keep sd card and headphone jack, hate Bluetooth, I'm in for the 8.

I just returned my note 7 to AT^T Monday after they force updated to the 60% charging software. If fubared the whole thing: Stuck on Easy Mode (Giant Icons), screen flickering pink, and other odd behaviors. After the customer rep finished the transaction, he has the nerve to tell me that Samsung is likely to offer refurbished Note 7s next spring???? Both the units I had were flawless. Never got hot and never any issues. I am back on my Note 4 now, but would like some of these proposed deals on the Note 8. I have had every Note except for the 5 and will get the 8 when releasese.

As for the nut saying to hold it from the U.S., we are not all Apple I phone fans or users. Think you should be forced to use an Iphone.....

Back