Samsung's Galaxy Note Edge to be a limited-edition concept

Shawn Knight

Staff member

report samsung galaxy note edge mass-produced smartphone prototype concept curved oled galaxy note 4 ifa 2014 note 4 note edge curved edge

Samsung’s Galaxy Note Edge arguably stole some of the Galaxy Note 4’s thunder during its reveal at IFA 2014 earlier this year. That’s a bit unfortunate in hindsight as Samsung has since confirmed the device was never intended to be sold to the masses.

According to a report from ZDNet Korea, Samsung Electronics president DJ Lee recently told reporters the device is a limited edition concept. As such, it’ll be available in small quantities in South Korea starting next month and slowly expand from there.

This also plays nicely with earlier rumblings from independent mobile retailer Clove, which stated distribution channels told them the Galaxy Note Edge will not be available in the UK at launch.

report samsung galaxy note edge mass-produced smartphone prototype concept curved oled galaxy note 4 ifa 2014 note 4 note edge curved edge

The Galaxy Note Edge debuted alongside the Galaxy Note 4 earlier this month at IFA 2014. Although not Samsung’s first curved device (and not even the first time we’ve seen Samsung show off this exact concept), this curious device features a curved edge screen that carries over onto the right edge of the phone.

At the time, we were told the Galaxy Note Edge was also coming to all major US carriers but as is typical with Samsung, they didn’t provide pricing or availability. Clearly, the latest from Samsung directly contradicts what they said earlier this month.

In the even the Note Edge does arrive as a limited-edition device, Samsung is going to have a tough time convincing developers to write apps for it. What’ll likely happen is that Samsung would provide a handful of in-house apps and that’d be the end of it. Hopefully that isn’t the case and the Galaxy Note Edge gets widespread distribution.

Permalink to story.

As a right handed person, I'd prefer the edge on the left side of the phone to make use of the thumb-ing of the icons; which let's my right hand actually press the keypad or write with the pen. Never thought there would be a left or right handed phone until now. If it was made available here, I'd get one.

Samsung are just testing the waters. If people swoon and fawn over all over it watch it appear on all their devices pretty soon, if it doesn't catch on at least they won't die wondering.

As a right handed person, I'd prefer the edge on the left side of the phone to make use of the thumb-ing of the icons; which let's my right hand actually press the keypad or write with the pen. Never thought there would be a left or right handed phone until now. If it was made available here, I'd get one.

You're holding it wrong.

You're holding it wrong.

As a right handy, I think it makes sense to put it on the left. Use your finger tips as they come around the other side.

"As a right handed person, I'd prefer the edge on the left side of the phone.."

To me this phone is designed for right handed, don't forget this is Galaxy Note which is you supposedly to hold it with your left hand while you hold the pen with your right hand, thus will allow (not blocked) curved edge screen (on right side) for you to make use of it while you use the stylus pen.. imagine if the curved screen on the left, it'll be blocked by your left-palm when you trying to use the phone with the pen. And, even when you use it with only one hand (right hand), it's more easy to reach the curved screen (located on the right side) to make use of it with your thumb, imagine if the curved screen on the left side, it will be hard to reach it with your thumb when you use only right hand (it's galaxy note, the display size is bigger)

You're holding it wrong.

As a right handy, I think it makes sense to put it on the left. Use your finger tips as they come around the other side.

Whoa, typo. I meant "put it on the right" lol wtf how'd I mess that up...

Back