Samsung's Galaxy S7 hardware revealed in benchmark results

Shawn Knight

Staff member

With Mobile World Congress just over a month away, rumors regarding upcoming smartphones are circulating at a feverish pace. One of the most anticipated phones of the year, Samsung's Galaxy S7, is the subject of a new report from PhoneArena.

The publication recently caught wind of an AnTuTu benchmark result purportedly run on the Galaxy S7 (or at least, one of multiple expected variants).

The handset, codenamed SM-G930F, is said to include a 5.1-inch display operating at 2,560 x 1,440 that's powered by Samsung's own octa-core Exynos 8890 SoC alongside a hearty 4GB of RAM and 64GB of local storage.

The Galaxy S7 in question is equipped with a 12-megapixel rear-facing camera, somewhat of a surprise since Samsung has been willing to participate in the megapixel race for so long (the Galaxy S6, for example, utilizes a 16-megapixel sensor). Fewer (but larger) pixels allow the camera to collect more light, thus improving low-light image quality.

Serial leaker Evan Blass recently said on Twitter that Samsung will release three variants of its new flagship: the standard Galaxy S7, an S7 Edge and an S7 Edge+. The Exynos 8890 is likely to ship with international models while Qualcomm's Snapdragon 820 is expected to power devices sold in the US.

We've also heard over the past several months that the Galaxy S7 may have a pressure-sensitive display that would function similar to Apple's 3D Touch panel found in current generation iPhones. Other rumors suggest the phone will feature a magnesium alloy body with a glass back and a high-end audio chip.

Permalink to story.

An 8890 huh. Hmmm.
Should also make for a good handwarmer. (Not dissing the phone, I like it)

Removable battery? SD card slot? if it does not have these things I will break the tradition and will jump ship to LG.

Removable battery? SD card slot? if it does not have these things I will break the tradition and will jump ship to LG.
I can't understand why some people make such a big deal of non removable batteries, they're a non issue at best. If you don't believe me, just ask any iSheep. It looks like when some people shout for removable batteries then some others join in on the chant.
You may as well jump ship already, all things point to Samsung brushing you off. You may get lucky with expandable storage, although I'm not holding my breath.

"The Galaxy S7 in question is equipped with a 12-megapixel rear-facing camera, somewhat of a surprise since Samsung has been willing to participate in the megapixel race for so long (the Galaxy S6, for example, utilizes a 16-megapixel sensor)."

Should that read has not?

Nice phone, too bad I see zero reason to upgrade phones, my G3 is more than adequate, a sentiment a lot of people share in regards to their current handsets. Samsung tried with the "edge" to attract new buyers for the S6, or other people to upgrade from existing Samsung devices, but like all gimmicky things, it was not so popular (I have yet to see one in the wild even). Without any big wow factors I believe the market will be quite stagnant for the foreseeable future.

I can't understand why some people make such a big deal of non removable batteries, they're a non issue at best. If you don't believe me, just ask any iSheep. It looks like when some people shout for removable batteries then some others join in on the chant.
You may as well jump ship already, all things point to Samsung brushing you off. You may get lucky with expandable storage, although I'm not holding my breath.

This is why I have no upgraded from my S4 yet. I DO require a removable battery, cause the phone is just fine. No need to spend hundreds to upgrade a perfectly working phone. Just replace the battery every few years. I am also looking to the LG right now. I didn't go with the iSheep crowd first and foremost due to the battery issue. The phones are fine and all but do not do what I need them to do.

This is why I have no upgraded from my S4 yet. I DO require a removable battery, cause the phone is just fine. No need to spend hundreds to upgrade a perfectly working phone. Just replace the battery every few years. I am also looking to the LG right now. I didn't go with the iSheep crowd first and foremost due to the battery issue. The phones are fine and all but do not do what I need them to do.
I also use a S4 (sometimes an A5 as well) It's still on it's original battery and not showing any signs of slowing down yet.

It's only the media that think this is one of the most anticipated phones. Couldn't care less as these days we have a ton of choice for Android phones. Samsung ceased being the only game in town after the S3 was released.

Just bought 2 new Galaxy S5 batteries and a wall charger for about $22. Honestly it's a great buy. I never have to have my phone plugged into a wall anywhere or at night, I simply just take the 15 seconds to change out the battery and then it's at 100%. It's perfect for a long day on a weekend or for events. Say you get up at 6:30 am and then by 6pm the phone is dead but you plan on going somewhere? In 15 seconds the phone is fully charged and ready to go.

I also use a S4 (sometimes an A5 as well) It's still on it's original battery and not showing any signs of slowing down yet.

I can't say the same... My 2nd battery would be at 75% before I even started work right now. On my 3rd. Replaced the batteries and it works great. They only last a few years at full load usage. But I'm also a heavier user. My 2nd battery wouldn't make it much past lunch. New one works all day. Normal replacement.

I'm surprised more phone manufacturers haven't' gone to a magnesium alloy as well. Sure it's expensive but it's incredibly light and very durable. I've got a pair of headphones made out of the stuff and they are insanely light.

I can't say the same... My 2nd battery would be at 75% before I even started work right now. On my 3rd. Replaced the batteries and it works great. They only last a few years at full load usage. But I'm also a heavier user. My 2nd battery wouldn't make it much past lunch. New one works all day. Normal replacement.
Maybe it's just the luck of the draw but I've never had any issues with batteries but then again I'm light on my mobile devices, using them only for calls and messaging 99% of the time. I can get 3 days use from a full charge on my S4 and sometimes up to 5 days on my A5... and I never switch them off or enable the built in power saving options. I notice the batteries do drain faster when mobile data is enabled but I seldom use that because I usually have WiFi all around me.

Though I can see a need for a removable battery, maybe you travel a lot and aren't near a power source to charge the phone with so many decent high end external batteries now that blow internal batteries out of the water this is kinda no moot point.

The next does come down to being able to change degradated batteries. This phone is a flagship device and generally many who buy this flag ship, will have also bought last years flag ship and so on and so forth. Because of this you probably only will be keeping the phone for 1 to 2 years, this is more than enough time for the battery to maintain full charge cycles and at worst maybe knock 30minutes-2hrs of the total time towards the end of the 2 year period.

Further to this phones like the iphone have non removable batteries, but how many of you have actually changed a battery on these supposed devices with non removable batteries ... hardly an issue.

Only one for me is the memory card issue, not sure why they would choose to remove the option other than to take away a minute amount of space and weight purely to say "we are lighter and thinner than the competition".

Why do they release new phone every month when there haven't been any real innovations in years? Just make the old phone, drop price and maybe fix things you found problematic. I really don't need resolution beyond fullhd or eight cores as nothing really utilizes those, if anything they drive me away as I rather have longer battery life than get one microsecond saved in loading times. Vice city runs better than on ps2 already and haven't seen any other games that would be more demanding, unless you up the resolution to 4k, which is pointless on 5 inch display.

Overpowered (unless you are into running benchmarks or high end video games), overpriced,
not really "needed" other than the marketing that the new faster processor, more bling will give
you a better "experience". Bunch of crap, but people are continuing to fall for it.
I thought I wouldn't like a non removable battery, but after the last 18 months of using the Huawei
Ascend Mate2, bought only because it was cheap on Amazon, with the intention of sending it back,
I never worry about battery life. 2-3 days EASY, with moderate to heavy use. I thought that it would
be slow, laggy due to the "inferior" SD400 chip. Boy was I surprised. It's only on 5.1, running nova
prime, but I'll keep it til it dies.
I think the other problem is (in the USA) people are just coming off the required 2 year contract, and
think if you need a cell phone, you MUST buy it from a carrier store. Last time I was in one, I thought
I'd walked into an Apple or Samsung store. Other than the $0 to 40 dollar phones, iphone & galaxy
phones are all you find. Once the majority of consumers figure out, that you can buy a phone from
anywhere (as long as it works with your carrier), maybe between that, and the fact the market is
saturated, the economy sucks, some of these sky high cell phone prices will start to DROP.

Because the battery is the first thing that dies in a mobile device. Haven't you heard that? And I am not even scratching the surface of multy battery use or bigger capacities as even I do not use these things but I have replaced the battery in all of my old phones and they are still working and being used.

For some people it's one of the the biggest factors when buying a smartphone, including myself.
For some maybe but very few. Manufacturers have moved away from this practice for their high end devices so if you don't like LG much you'd better have a change of heart, they're the only ones who still offer that feature, if you can call it that.

For some maybe but very few. Manufacturers have moved away from this practice for their high end devices so if you don't like LG much you'd better have a change of heart, .
I don't get caught up with the sheep, don't care to have the latest and greatest, my S4 is fast as sh!t.
My S4 cost me $50 4 years ago when I first signed a 2 year.
It's a Snapdragon 600 w/ Adreno 320, 2GB RAM, and 1080p display that runs and looks as good as the day I got it.
I replaced the battery a few months ago, the phone is back to lasting days before needing a recharge. Battery cost $10.

I will run this phone another 4-5 years, if it dies, I can get a NIB S4 (my choice of color) for $180 on ebay.
I don't care what companies have moved away from. It won't bother me for a LONG, LONG time.

Last edited:
For some maybe but very few. Manufacturers have moved away from this practice for their high end devices so if you don't like LG much you'd better have a change of heart, they're the only ones who still offer that feature, if you can call it that.
And that is why people voted with their wallets and Samsung went from top straight to the bottom - yet people still bought their older models like Note 4 which has all the features. Many of my fiends had Samsung and wanted to upgrade but when they say that the new model has LESS features they just stay on their current or some of them got Note 4...

And that is why people voted with their wallets and Samsung went from top straight to the bottom - yet people still bought their older models like Note 4 which has all the features. Many of my fiends had Samsung and wanted to upgrade but when they say that the new model has LESS features they just stay on their current or some of them got Note 4...

agreed, and if you think the elimination of SD and replaceable battery coinciding with Samsung's dramatic drop in sales is simply a coincidence, I humbly disagree. Have fun Sammy, I'll actually bother to look when you have fired the team responsible for that error, and offer SD as some Feature! again.

agreed, and if you think the elimination of SD and replaceable battery coinciding with Samsung's dramatic drop in sales is simply a coincidence, I humbly disagree. Have fun Sammy, I'll actually bother to look when you have fired the team responsible for that error, and offer SD as some Feature! again.
Expandable storage is a big deal. It's all about the money and nothing else. Although storage is cheap nowadays, prices for devices with larger storage increase drastically because people who want more storage have to pay the extortionate prices. It's blatant robbery.
Manufacturers also don't want consumers to use the same device for the next 5 years, it hurts sales badly and the 1st thing to go is the battery that's why it's sealed in although you can get around that by prying open the device and replacing the battery yourself. You always run the risk of damaging the device but if you're competent enough you've got a good chance of success. Most people can't do that or aren't willing to take the chance, I would, but I'm in the minority here.

I must admit that I too am considering a change of manufacturer from Samsung should this lack of usable features continue. Like many of you have said, the battery is one of the first things to go on a smartphone, and given some of the battery problems Apple has had, it is a wonder to me that Samsung has not tried to keep their identity and their edge by offering what they had before... a way around the non-replaceable battery and SD card support. If you take a lot of vids or pictures you can fill up a card pretty quickly, and it's nice to have to option to use a fresh one. This Samsung "Apple fanboy-ism" is getting sickening. "Oh look... we're the same as the iPhone..." If I wanted an iPhone I would have bought an iPhone. I wanted a phone with a replaceable battery and SD card slot, so the last phone I got was an S5 which I would like to keep because it has those features. So now, if LG is the only game in town, guess what... that is what people who like choices and flexibility will be buying.

I agree with the battery. I also think it's not an issue. I would like to see expandable memory make a comeback. I do miss being able to store things on my SD card. It kept my phone nice and clean. I'm using the Note 5 on T-Mobile and I love it. There are days I miss my Note 4 though.

I think my next phone will be the Xiaomi Redmi 3. The 4100mAh battery and metal body for just $120-$140 is just too good of a deal.
I just can't honestly pay so much for these extremely expensive "brand name" phones.

Back