Samsung's high resolution ATIV Book 9 Plus arrives August 20

By Shawn Knight
Aug 8, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. If you’ve been waiting for a high-resolution answer to Apple’s MacBook Pro with Retina display that runs Windows, Samsung may have just what you’ve been waiting for. The Samsung ATIV Book 9 Plus comes equipped with a 13.3-inch SuperBright+ touch...

Read more
  2. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,880   +348

Id be impressed if it had above average battery life. But the odds arent looking that way IMO.
  3. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,145   +172

Display sounds great. Pity about the gfx chip. A basic nvidia laptop chip from last generation, GT540M, is still about 30% faster than HD 4400 and things like BF3 actually can run on low settings at playable framerate. HD 4400 is still little more than a 2D card.
  4. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,797   +882

I hate the Ativ Book branding... I liked "Series X" before.

Their priority is battery life, not gaming :(.
  5. VitalyT

VitalyT TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,654   +507

Waiting for something like this, with 16GB of RAM. To offer such product with just 4GB is bad planning, it will turn IT people away.
  6. JC713

They should also offer the option for an i7. This would have the advantage over the MBA if it werent for the lack of customization.
  7. yowanvista

yowanvista Newcomer, in training Posts: 82

HD4400? Rly? Why can't they at least bundle a low power dedicated card instead of relying on integrated garbage? At that price one can obtain a far better PC with real specs rather than this POS with a glorified display.
  8. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 3,428   +618

Wow. What do you need a GPU for? This thing is made for 2D work, not playing League of Legends.
  9. Darth Shiv

That's a pretty crazy screen resolution. Surely you'd want to couple it with something that can actually do anything on it in 3D? A HD 4400 can't even show a slideshow on that res in 3D...

Just seems a bit counter-intuitive to me to put in such a high grade component and leave it so hamstrung?
  10. Darth Shiv

Yes clearly it is! I'd love to see that screen coupled with a GTX675M :D
  11. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 3,428   +618

Then it'll never be as thin as this, nor have 11hrs battery life. You can't get everything with present-day tech ....

12. MrAnderson

MrAnderson TechSpot Maniac Posts: 488   +10

Okay if I can finance this I might want it for my everyday laptop... will not do as my gaming laptop, but for development and standard computing... Yes!
  13. Darth Shiv

Ps guys, what does the statement "QHD+ is available depending on Windows version" mean? Wouldn't any version of Windows from Win98 support arbitrary resolutions?
  14. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,921   +724

"Expect to pay $1,399.99 for the opportunity which really isn?t a bad price"
    I'm glad that's not my opinion.
  15. Divvet

Divvet Newcomer, in training Posts: 57   +19

You have to consider DPI as well, on Windows pre Win 8 (I think) You can set the the highest res but you would get VERY small writing. Win8 compensates for this and enlarges text and such.
  16. Now if it came with a OS like Windows 7, that would be cool.
  17. JC713

Windows 8.1 has better scaling that Win 7 and Win 8.
  18. I5 ultra low voltage? thats a joke? the performance must be terrible, thats noobs
  19. Railman

Railman TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 573   +76

compared to the surface pro the price looks reasonable as you do get a larger screen and a proper keyboard. still I won't be rushing out to buy it! I imagine the screen would get dirty pretty quickly.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.