Samsung's high resolution ATIV Book 9 Plus arrives August 20

Shawn Knight

Staff member

samsung ativ book ativ book 9

If you’ve been waiting for a high-resolution answer to Apple’s MacBook Pro with Retina display that runs Windows, Samsung may have just what you’ve been waiting for. The Samsung ATIV Book 9 Plus comes equipped with a 13.3-inch SuperBright+ touch screen with 350nits of brightness and 10-point touch input –  all operating at a resolution of 3,200 x 1,800 (275 PPI).

Internal hardware is impressive as well with a dual-core i5-4200U Haswell chip ticking along at 1.6GHz, 4GB of DDR3-1600MHz RAM, a 128GB solid state drive and integrated Intel HD Graphics 4400. Elsewhere you’ll find a 3-in-1 card reader, webcam, integrated microphone and speakers, Ethernet, 802.11 a/b/g/n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0 and WiDi.

samsung ativ book ativ book 9

The Book 9 Plus also includes two USB 3.0 ports, a micro-HDMI port, mini-VGA (via optional cable) and a 1.8mm headphone / microphone combo jack. It all ships running a 64-bit copy of Windows 8 in a frame that measures 13.6mm thick and weighs 1.39kg (3.06 pounds). Samsung claims the machine can run for up to 11 hours on a single charge.

Expect to pay $1,399.99 for the opportunity which really isn’t a bad price considering the hardware and the display. We’re told users can boost the memory and storage capacity for an extra fee. Systems were available for pre-order as recently as yesterday through B&H but they’ve since pulled the listing.

Either way, you’ll have to wait until August 20 to get your hands on one.

Permalink to story.

Id be impressed if it had above average battery life. But the odds arent looking that way IMO.

Display sounds great. Pity about the gfx chip. A basic nvidia laptop chip from last generation, GT540M, is still about 30% faster than HD 4400 and things like BF3 actually can run on low settings at playable framerate. HD 4400 is still little more than a 2D card.

I hate the Ativ Book branding... I liked "Series X" before.

Display sounds great. Pity about the gfx chip. A basic nvidia laptop chip from last generation, GT540M, is still about 30% faster than HD 4400 and things like BF3 actually can run on low settings at playable framerate. HD 4400 is still little more than a 2D card.
Their priority is battery life, not gaming :(.

Waiting for something like this, with 16GB of RAM. To offer such product with just 4GB is bad planning, it will turn IT people away.

Waiting for something like this, with 16GB of RAM. To offer such product with just 4GB is bad planning, it will turn IT people away.
They should also offer the option for an i7. This would have the advantage over the MBA if it werent for the lack of customization.

HD4400? Rly? Why can't they at least bundle a low power dedicated card instead of relying on integrated garbage? At that price one can obtain a far better PC with real specs rather than this POS with a glorified display.

HD4400? Rly? Why can't they at least bundle a low power dedicated card instead of relying on integrated garbage? At that price one can obtain a far better PC with real specs rather than this POS with a glorified display.
Wow. What do you need a GPU for? This thing is made for 2D work, not playing League of Legends.

I hate the Ativ Book branding... I liked "Series X" before.

Their priority is battery life, not gaming :(.

That's a pretty crazy screen resolution. Surely you'd want to couple it with something that can actually do anything on it in 3D? A HD 4400 can't even show a slideshow on that res in 3D...

Just seems a bit counter-intuitive to me to put in such a high grade component and leave it so hamstrung?

Okay if I can finance this I might want it for my everyday laptop... will not do as my gaming laptop, but for development and standard computing... Yes!

Ps guys, what does the statement "QHD+ is available depending on Windows version" mean? Wouldn't any version of Windows from Win98 support arbitrary resolutions?

Ps guys, what does the statement "QHD+ is available depending on Windows version" mean? Wouldn't any version of Windows from Win98 support arbitrary resolutions?

You have to consider DPI as well, on Windows pre Win 8 (I think) You can set the the highest res but you would get VERY small writing. Win8 compensates for this and enlarges text and such.

I5 ultra low voltage? thats a joke? the performance must be terrible, thats noobs

"Expect to pay $1,399.99 for the opportunity which really isn?t a bad price"
I'm glad that's not my opinion.
compared to the surface pro the price looks reasonable as you do get a larger screen and a proper keyboard. still I won't be rushing out to buy it! I imagine the screen would get dirty pretty quickly.

Back