Samsung's new ads for the Galaxy S7 / Edge / Gear VR feature Lil Wayne, Wesley Snipes

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Samsung's Galaxy S7 launched this past Friday and by most accounts, it's one of, if not the, best Android smartphones money can buy. Naturally, Samsung wants to spread the word to as many potential buyers as possible.

To help get the word out about its two new smartphones (and the Gear VR), the South Korean technology giant has enlisted the help of rapper Lil Wayne and actor Wesley Snipes.

In the first of three spots, Lil Wayne demonstrates the handset's IP-68 certification by dousing the device in champagne and dunking it in a fish tank while on a call. There's also a subtle dig at Apple and the fact that its iPhone isn't officially water resistant.

In another video, the popular rapper narrates his afternoon both in the real and virtual worlds as he fights robots in outer space, chills in a canoe with Wesley Snipes and more. And in the third clip (below), Lil Wayne can't be bothered by Snipes as he's delivering a baby elephant.

The collaboration with Lil Wayne goes deeper than a few commercial spots. Just last night, Lil Wayne and fellow rapper 2 Chainz performed as part of Samsung's Galaxy Life Fest at SXSW in Austin, Texas. The three-day showcase featured The Strokes and The Arcs on Friday, the aforementioned rap due on and Public Enemy on Saturday and will host Elle King and Sia on Sunday.

Permalink to story.

American urban culture... I found the champagne commercial amusing. Mostly because excess exemplifies a rappers lifestyle, and pouring bottles of booze on a phone speaks to that.

Well, not that I would buy an overpriced phone like that, but if I was in the market, that commercial was dumb, and I wouldn't buy one based on a thug rapper.

Wayne used to work at a kinkos where he fell asleep on the job and woke up looking like he does now.
What ever happened to class and decorum?

Back