TechSpot

Samsung's new camera module to drastically improve low-light images

By Shawn Knight
Oct 7, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Consumers often look at the megapixel count of a digital camera as a basis to gauge quality. Of course, those with more than a basic understanding of camera technology know this is a foolish mistake as a number of other...

Read more
  2. Of course, Samsung knows how foolish it is to factor in megapixel numbers as a measure of photo quality. That's why their new low-light camera has 13 MP instead of, say, 1.3, 3, 5, 8, or even 10 megapixels. Why didn't they just make it 5 pixels and incorporate a sensor the size of a truck into that tiny little camera? That wouldn't be foolish, would it?
  3. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 6,953   +900

Samsung has an advantage since they actually make their own technology and dont just incorporate it into their products.
  4. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,069   +704

Image stabilization with improved low light pics? Sounds like an HTC One!

I kid... the One is 4mp, not 13. If I remember my lesson from anandtech.com....There's a trade off with digital photography regarding the size of the sensor and the amount of light required to take a decent pic. If I remember right, the sensor has to be pretty big to capture enough light for an 8 or 13MP camera, and it's why the HTC One has a 4MP. The required big sensor will stick out of the phone, and the designers have preferred to not have a protruding lens and it's caused the good low light cameras to be fewer mega-pixels.

Long story short... let's wait to see if Samsung's new module can fit in the phone before we get all excited.
  5. 8x better. Whatever Samsung. You might as well say 100x. Know one believes anything you say anymore anyway.
  6. Wagan8r

Wagan8r TS Guru Posts: 592   +45

Hey! That sounds like the Nokia Lumia 1020!

I kid.. The 1020 is 41MP, not 13. And has reinvented zoom.

It actually sounds more like the Nokia Lumia 920, the Nokia Lumia 925, and the Nokia Lumia 928, albeit two years late.
  7. dennis777

dennis777 TS Enthusiast Posts: 276   +29

Dont know what happen to samsung's camera, in the age of nokia their camera was one of the best in low light images... now T_T

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.