Samsung's new EV battery tech gives vehicles a 310-mile range from a 20-minute charge

midian182

Staff member

Samsung probably isn’t the first company that comes to mind when you think of excellent battery performance. But while it may take a while for the Korean firm to escape the Note 7’s ghost, its lithium ion and renewable subsidiary – Samsung SDI – is making some huge strides in the world of electric vehicle batteries.

Two of the big drawbacks with EVs are the limited range provided by their batteries and the time they take to charge, but Samsung SDI’s new battery cells could solve the problem. The company claims that the improved density in its “next generation” battery offers 373 miles of driving on a single charge. Plus, it takes just 20 minutes to charge the battery to 80 percent capacity, allowing a vehicle to travel around 310 miles.

For comparison, the batteries in Tesla’s Model 3 allow for around 215 miles travel on a single charge, and juicing them to full capacity takes around an hour. 30 minutes on a Supercharger station, meanwhile, will give a Tesla about 170 miles of range.

Samsung SDI unveiled the batteries at Detroit’s North American International Auto Show 2017, where it also showed off its "integrated battery module” concept. The new design is lighter, safer, and comes with fewer components compared to conventional EV batteries, while still boasting a larger capacity.

It’ll be a while before we see these high-energy density battery cells. Samsung SDI says they’re not planning mass production until the year 2021, by which time there should be even more electric vehicles on the roads.

Permalink to story.

Charging 310 miles of range in 20 minutes when we already know it takes Tesla 1-hour to return 275 miles of range?

The explosions are going to be EPIC.

[note: I've personally recharged our Tesla P90DL in the JFK supercharger and it takes no less than 50 minutes. The car does not charge all batteries to full capacity. It keeps different levels of charge in different banks of batteries]

Putting aside all the Samsung exploding jokes, I cannot get too excited since it is still lithium ion.

The wait for new battery tech continues.... I lost count as to how many years we have been waiting.

Car battery tech is on the cusp of good enough for most use cases. Little by little capacity increases and charge time decreases, to the point where cheaper charging compared to ICE and lower cost of maintenance might make fully electric cars an attractive alternative. 300-400 miles might be good enough to last whole week for short commuters, and charging it only during weekends. Samsung might be too late with this in 2021...

Once capacity creeps up beyond, they can just put smaller batteries, lowering the cost of car, and displacing what's left of gas engine vehicles.

Buses, trucks, etc they will go down first, as they have clearly defined routes. Make a swap station at convenient points and you can make a good business case. Can't wait for this future.

Charging 310 miles of range in 20 minutes when we already know it takes Tesla 1-hour to return 275 miles of range?

[note: I've personally recharged our Tesla P90DL in the JFK supercharger and it takes no less than 50 minutes. The car does not charge all batteries to full capacity. It keeps different levels of charge in different banks of batteries]
Yesterday you were muttering something about a hot Dodge. Hey man, if you want to try BS everyone, at least keep your fairy tales consistent.

Yesterday you were muttering something about a hot Dodge. Hey man, if you want to try BS everyone, at least keep your fairy tales consistent.

Perfect comeback

BOOM shackalaka BOOM shackalaka BOOM shackalaka ...... that was just a simulation of them roaring down the highway .....

I have the Number One HEllcat and Jeep SRT videos on Youtube.

You must not know who I am boy...
With 22000 subscribers I don't think a lot of people will never know who you are.

I don't get paid for subscribers. I get paid for views and view duration. I get paid by having freebies sent to me to do user reviews.

I get paid by the all-expense-paid-trip to Denver Colorado which I made a video of - to vewied Volskwagon's prototype Tiguan in a focus group.

My subscribers will jump after I get the Jeep Trackhawk since everyone wants it and barely anyone can afford it.

My Youtube income alone could pay many people's mortgages.

Don't playa hate...participate... or you're just gonna be mad bruh.

Any improvement in EV technology is a Good Thing. But while there is a lot of hype, there is also a lot of under-thinking IMHO.

There is no magic in batteries, if you get 310 miles of range vs. 270 miles, it's because the battery can store more kilowatt-hours of energy. Charging efficiency is a separate issue. If it CAN store more energy, and assuming all things are equal it can store 310/270 * 100 (current Tesla P100 capacity) = about 115 kW/h, then to charge it in 20 minutes assuming no losses (very unlikely) means an input current of 345 kW.

The Tesla Superchargers are the fastest charging stations available, and they do about 120 kW. The 'wire' going to the socket is about an inch and a half (~ 4cm) thick. By contrast, most Type 3 chargers used run to about 50kW, which is why the Tesla supercharger was designed.

Where are you going to charge the thing? Assuming you have 3 such cars charging at once, that's a megawatt.
A whole new infrastructure would need to be designed and built from the ground up. Your charging cable would be massive, maybe have to be liquid cooled. Your internal wiring in the car would be massive, even at 800v thats 430 amps!

It's far more likely that existing technology would be reused, and you'd just be able to charge up quicker, maybe just under an hour.

I have the Number One HEllcat and Jeep SRT videos on Youtube.

You must not know who I am boy...
With 22000 subscribers I don't think a lot of people will never know who you are.

I don't get paid for subscribers. I get paid for views and view duration. I get paid by having freebies sent to me to do user reviews.

I get paid by the all-expense-paid-trip to Denver Colorado which I made a video of - to vewied Volskwagon's prototype Tiguan in a focus group.

My subscribers will jump after I get the Jeep Trackhawk since everyone wants it and barely anyone can afford it.

My Youtube income alone could pay many people's mortgages.

Don't playa hate...participate... or you're just gonna be mad bruh.

No more than 10,000 views for all of your videos. And youtube pays $2 for every 1000 views.
And I don't see a millions views for your videos. And you some how manage a job, posting videos on youtube, and commenting on Techspot. Why do you even use an iphone to record everything, you got a perfect rig for editing videos.

U mad bro?

poo Pooing my success?

You're gonna make me cry!

Notice that I made two purchase videos of two $70,000 cars and one of a $55,000 car while losers like you were just pointing out my flaws.

Eddie Murphy said it best.

"people used to laugh at my big nose. I laugh about it too - all the way to the bank".

Google Adsense is direct depositing over $2500 a month to my bank account. And over time you'll watch my subs hit 30,000.

Once I buy Trackhawk - maybe even 40,000.

there are people on Youtube with way more subs - but far fewer views than me.

Just sit back and watch me spend my money.

Youtube paid for my Dubai/ Seychelles video.

I'm going to do Buenos Aires/ Montevideo next.

And you'll just be there sitting, watching and hatin' LOL.

I'm done with you.

By the way ($2 per 1000 ) is absolutely wrong. View duration is factored in. Youtube doesn't let people game the system as easily as you think.

U mad bro?

poo Pooing my success?

You're gonna make me cry!

Notice that I made two purchase videos of two $70,000 cars and one of a $55,000 car while losers like you were just pointing out my flaws.

Eddie Murphy said it best.

"people used to laugh at my big nose. I laugh about it too - all the way to the bank".

Google Adsense is direct depositing over $2500 a month to my bank account. And over time you'll watch my subs hit 30,000.

Once I buy Trackhawk - maybe even 40,000.

there are people on Youtube with way more subs - but far fewer views than me.

Just sit back and watch me spend my money.

Youtube paid for my Dubai/ Seychelles video.

I'm going to do Buenos Aires/ Montevideo next.

And you'll just be there sitting, watching and hatin' LOL.

I'm done with you.

By the way ($2 per 1000 ) is absolutely wrong. View duration is factored in. Youtube doesn't let people game the system as easily as you think.

When are going to hit 30000 subscribers in 2025 or later?

My attitude is a turn off to the people who don't like my attitude, but as time goes on, I continue to build a coalition of the willing.

It's kinda like how Trump won the Presidency and lost by 3 million illegal-alien/butthurt liberal votes due to the electoral college.

Back on topic, please. If you must continue this off topic discussion, do so in the General Discussion forum or via PM. Thank you.

You're so right. I think I got my point across.

So as I was saying: fast charging batteries is going to result in explosions more epic than Samsung ever dreamed of...

Back