Samsung's new mobile memory chip combines 3GB of RAM, 32GB of flash into a single package

Shawn Knight

Staff member

fingernail-sized samsung 3gb ram 32gb samsung storage smartphone memory epop embedded package on package lpddr3 smartphone memory

Samsung has started mass producing what’s being called the industry’s first ePoP, or embedded package on package. By combining two key smartphone elements into a single package, Samsung’s solution promises to offer high-end handset makers up to 40 percent more space.

The company has been offering a similar single-package solution for wearable devices for some time now. That package, called wearable memory, includes DRAM, a controller and NAND flash on a single chip that can also be stacked on top of an application processor.

Creating an ePoP for smartphone use, however, presented an issue due to the fact that flash memory is sensitive to heat. As you know, high-end smartphone chips are much faster -  and therefore generate much more heat - compared to chips found in wearables.

fingernail-sized samsung 3gb ram 32gb samsung storage smartphone memory epop embedded package on package lpddr3 smartphone memory

The Korean tech giant’s ePoP for smartphones combines a 3GB LPDDR3 DRAM module, a 32GB eMMC (embedded multi-media card) and a controller into a single package. The 3GB LPDDR3 mobile DRAM operates at an I/O data transfer rate of 1,866MB/sec and supports a 64-bit I/O bandwidth.

What’s more, the package can be stacked directly on top of the mobile processor without taking up any additional space as the package features special heat resistant properties.

It’s a distinct improvement over existing two-package eMCP memory solutions that could afford manufacturers the freedom to install larger battery packs or further help to reduce device thickness.

Over the coming years, Samsung said it will expand its ePoP lineup to include packages with enhanced performance and density.

Permalink to story.

VLSI isn't a new concept. It's just that they managed it for this specific component.

Them actually think of battery size?! Blasphemy! Just throw that idea out the window!

Anyways. It would be nice if they focus on actual useful things, like battery size / life in general and not slap in the "best tier" combination for quality. Of course there's also the problem that, consumers leave so much active the battery life drains so fast also. It's a two-sided problem, and can't be just pushed on the vendors alone.

Looking at a potential mobile phone, because I'm finally looking to ditch my land line. Only use it because really, who wants to use Skype credit or such for local calls? :p

Them actually think of battery size?! Blasphemy! Just throw that idea out the window!

Anyways. It would be nice if they focus on actual useful things, like battery size / life in general and not slap in the "best tier" combination for quality. Of course there's also the problem that, consumers leave so much active the battery life drains so fast also. It's a two-sided problem, and can't be just pushed on the vendors alone.

Looking at a potential mobile phone, because I'm finally looking to ditch my land line. Only use it because really, who wants to use Skype credit or such for local calls? :p

The Galaxy Note series phones are known for their battery life already. With this new tech, they could probably fit a Note sized battery in a ~4.5" phone instead of a ~5.5" one.

The manufacturers are free to design their phones as they see fit, this AIO chip gives them bit of flexibility to do just that and as you know anorexic phones with big long faces seem to be all the rage these days, the only problem is a fully charged battery in the morning struggles to make it through breakfast. Personally I'd rather have a slightly obese phone but one with a lot of stamina.
Battery tech is as we know it is going nowhere for the foreseeable future so don't go looking up to the heavens expecting a miracle, you'll be disappointed.

What will they do with this? make thinner phones, or make bigger/better batteries.

The manufacturers are free to design their phones as they see fit, this AIO chip gives them bit of flexibility to do just that and as you know anorexic phones with big long faces seem to be all the rage these days, the only problem is a fully charged battery in the morning struggles to make it through breakfast. Personally I'd rather have a slightly obese phone but one with a lot of stamina.
Battery tech is as we know it is going nowhere for the foreseeable future so don't go looking up to the heavens expecting a miracle, you'll be disappointed.

I know all about it, seeing how silly these phones are. Also I was too lazy to add a sarcasm tag, because I figured being over the top would be helpful. ;)

I'm all for smaller phones, I just look at these "phablets" as they get named and sigh. I'm honestly questioning the need, for such screens but anyone in the know must obviously love it. I'd much rather something reasonable but then again, being chained to a desktop so long I must not know a whole lot. :p

I've never really expected much, in terms of a miracle battery tech. Just people should know how to use it, and not just drain the battery within the first 4-5 hours. I can understand larger phones work well, with those who have larger hands I'm sure. Just making that the norm for new phones, it just makes me wonder where the market is headed. :confused:

I know all about it, seeing how silly these phones are. Also I was too lazy to add a sarcasm tag, because I figured being over the top would be helpful. ;)

I'm all for smaller phones, I just look at these "phablets" as they get named and sigh. I'm honestly questioning the need, for such screens but anyone in the know must obviously love it. I'd much rather something reasonable but then again, being chained to a desktop so long I must not know a whole lot. :p

I've never really expected much, in terms of a miracle battery tech. Just people should know how to use it, and not just drain the battery within the first 4-5 hours. I can understand larger phones work well, with those who have larger hands I'm sure. Just making that the norm for new phones, it just makes me wonder where the market is headed. :confused:
Yup, I pretty much agree with everything you said. (y)

Back