TechSpot

Samsung's new Power Sharing cable lets you use your Galaxy device as a backup battery

1. Samsung has launched a new accessory that allows you to conveniently transfer power directly from select smartphones and tablets to any Micro USB enabled device. Priced at $20, the Power Sharing cable, as the company has dubbed it, can draw...

Read more

2. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,518   +505

I'd rather spend those $20 on a dedicated battery, so I could charge both the smartwatch and my phone without discharging neither.

3. yRaz

yRaz TS Evangelist Posts: 1,906   +954

I have 5, 2500mah portable chargers that I got on dealextreme last year for $10 each. A cable is a little easier to fit into your pocket, but not by much.

Also, how is this cable any different than a 2 sided micro USB cable? You can get those online for less than $5. I'm not trying to hate on samsung here, I love samsung, I just don't understand how they can charge $20 for a glorified micro USB cable.

4. Lionvibez

Lionvibez TS Evangelist Posts: 1,104   +346

So drain the battery in your watch to gain 25% charge on battery lol makes sense.

A charge stick is a far better idea and one that matches the capacity of your battery even better.

5. Jamesbrah

Jamesbrah TS Enthusiast Posts: 59   +11

It's probably no different, but that's where companies make a lot of their revenue - on accessories. Chargers are already priced at this price point (with Apple charging an even higher premium) so consumers are happy to accept these prices. Honestly $20 seems okay compared to how it could have been..

6. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,514   +2,058

$20 for a cable is nuts. Honestly I'd rather buy a portable charger if I ever needed to charge a device OTG.

7. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,518   +505

Since the article tells about a cable with ARROWS to differentiate where it charges from and what it charges, it IS a different cable than the normally found for $5.

It should have a special circuitry to tell where the charge is headed to, which should also have safety implemented to avoid overheating, overcharging, overvoltages, etc.

It's almost like asking why should I pay $10 for a brand charger when I can get a chinesse ripoff for $2, and I say ALMOST because in this case neither of them have the same functionality.