Samsung's solar-powered netbook surfaces stateside for $399

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Initially limited to folks in Africa and Russia, Samsung's solar-powered netbook seems to be gearing up for a stateside debut. The NP-NC-215-A01US has surfaced on Amazon with a preorder price of $399 and appears to be largely identical to Russian model we covered last month. Although its spec sheet reads like any other Intel-based netbook's you've seen in recent years, the NC215 spices things up by augmenting its power source with a solar panel.

The system can run for about one hour for every two-hour recharge period in direct sunlight. Although you won't be able to harness the sun for perpetual usage, when combined with the NC215's six-cell battery, the solar cells push battery life up to 14.5 hours depending on how bright your screen is during outdoor sessions. The 10.1-inch 1024x600 display is LED-backlit and has a 300-nit brightness, which is about 50% brighter than most netbooks says Samsung.

As we said, besides the solar panel, the NC215 doesn't bring anything new to the table. The system is equipped with a 1.66GHz Intel Atom N570 dual-core Pineview processor, a GMA 3150 integrated graphics core, 1GB of RAM, and a 250GB 5400RPM hard drive. Other markets also received models with a single-core Atom and a 350GB HDD. Connectivity includes VGA-out, three USB 2.0 ports (at least one with sleep-and-charge), and a 4-in-1 card reader.

Permalink to story.

*Opens computer in the morning before school*
*types up late homework*
*places laptop in laptop bag/carrier*
*gets to school and opens laptop*
*battery dies*

"DANG! If only these floresant lights were a little closer... maybe I could just...
*stands on chair holding up laptop*

Classroom teacher, "Mr. Smith, what do you think you are doing?!"

"Sorry Sir, just trying to get my homework done."

*Drops laptop on desk from standing on chair*

*laptop smashes into pieces*

....a little dramatic, I know... but...

Meh why don't they just make hand powered generator with handle one can spin, like a music box.

As neat as this is it would make a lot more sense to put the solar cells in a case that can be put in the sun while the owner stays in the shade with the computer.

That actually sounds awesome. Make the case have the solar cells and charge a battery cell inside the case. So when the Person is done using his or her computer they put the computer in the case and connect it to the case so the power from the solar cell recharges the computer for use later. That actually sounds like a great idea. One because i live in Arizona so sitting in the sun with a laptop would be extremely HOT!!! And also there would be a glare on the screen, also i would get a really bad tan, and to include the computer would get really hot and lower its life expectancy. NO ONE TAKE MY IDEA. I'M GOING TO BUILD THIS!!! Not really. Its just a good idea and someone should build off it.

Back