TechSpot

SanDisk Aims High With Extreme II SSD, Reviewed

By Julio Franco
Jul 2, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Darth Shiv likes this.
  2. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TS Evangelist Posts: 1,164   +175

Itching for the SATA Express to hit. Sequential read/write is still important. If you are moving high def content around or databases, that's massive sequential transfers. Random 4k is nice but I don't think the storage bus is the place we should be having the bottleneck. Particularly considering RAID and TRIM support is still so poor for SSDs as well.

3. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,925   +170

I don't think many people move around large files from SSD to SSD so I doubt sequential read/writes make any noticeable difference to most users. Constantly writing huge files isn't good for the life of the SSD anyway.

I'm a little disappointed SSD prices seem to have stalled lately, they seem to be the same price or slightly higher than a year ago.

4. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TS Evangelist Posts: 1,164   +175

Constant isn't the problem. It's not often you may need to backup 1TB+ of data but I'm pretty sure if you had the option of 2 hours or 1 hour, you'd pick 1 (of course exagerating for the point but it's all relative).

5. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 6,982   +909

Great review. Too bad Apple ditched Sandisk for Samsung after just a year.

6. We need SATA 4.

7. '...as modern drives have plateaued at SATA III's 6Gb/s bus'

This thing reads at a maximum of 550MBps, that's 4400Mbps, I wouldn't call 1600Mbps/200MBps off of top speed the plateau of SATA III.

8. VitalyT

VitalyT TS Evangelist Posts: 1,828   +546

The industry is in despair over the limitations created by SATA-3 and memory controllers, and no foreseeable future.

In September Apple brings a whole bunch of products - all using PCI Express SSD-s, with other manufacturers to start shipping products with Samsung PCI SSD-s before the end of the year. Those deliver 1.4GB/s. If ultrabooks start delivering this kind of performance, the market will start moving quickly. Nobody will want SATA-4, because even twice the speed of SATA-3 is already not fast enough for those SSD-s.

9. VitalyT

VitalyT TS Evangelist Posts: 1,828   +546

I fail to see how this is in any way bad... This is nothing but a great news, with Apple pushing the industry to use PCI SSD-s and delivering unheard-of performance in the mobile sector...

10. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 6,982   +909

I support Sandisks efforts and to see that Apple ditched Sandisk SSDs after just 1 year for Samsungs saddens me. But yeah, it is because the PCIe solution was used.

11. Ryan Evans

Ryan Evans TS Rookie

Dumping sandforce does not mean it is not good. For a SSD manufacturer to be associated with a SSD controllers there are a lot of protocols that need to be followed & if either of the brands are not ready to sync even for a even protocol then they cannot work together. This is often misintepreted/told differently often to create a bad image for the only controller designers which is unfair. It is always best to judge a SSD from experience rather than listening only to someone else's review.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.