SanDisk announces world's largest capacity microSD memory card

By Shawn Knight
Feb 25, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. SanDisk has announced the world's largest capacity microSD memory card. Smaller than a typical human fingernail, this new card is packed with 128GB of storage which is enough to hold 16 hours of full HD video, 7,500 songs, 3,200 pictures...

Read more
  2. erick2011

erick2011 TS Rookie

Sweet deal. Perfect to put in the Go Pro Black + and go diving to a ship wreck.

NTAPRO TS Evangelist Posts: 810   +102

Why are mobile devices dropping the microSD slots? I liked the option to expand memory past that measly GB that came with lower priced tablets
    H3llion likes this.
  4. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,335   +1,936

From my perspective most phones and tablets (not all) do offer the micro SD slot. I wouldn't dream of buying a mobile device that doesn't offer it even if they do offer a 'reasonable' amount of built in flash storage. I'd always buy the device with the least amount of built in storage (to save money) then bung in a micro SD card. It works out far cheaper.
    cliffordcooley likes this.
  5. ArthurZ

ArthurZ TS Rookie Posts: 79

Now let's wait for the prices to fall.
  6. m4a4

m4a4 TS Guru Posts: 735   +259

They generally aren't, but the ones who do (or never had it) seem to want you to buy their bigger internal storage models (which have inflated prices because of it).
  7. treeski

treeski TS Evangelist Posts: 954   +193

Partly to save costs and partly because streaming service/subscriptions are becoming more and more popular. I think most would agree that our data plans aren't cheap enough to sustain as much streaming as we'd like, buuuut...
  8. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,430   +2,822

Same here.
    spencer likes this.
  9. "One could argue that portable memory cards like this are on the way out..."

I doubt that very much. Cloud storage is just propaganda supported by the NSA so that they could get hold of your info - no matter how trivial.
  10. Laf904

Laf904 TS Member Posts: 19

They are not dropping it but some never adopted it. Apple is a good example and it is clearly a way for them to make big money and exploit customers.
  11. spencer

spencer TS Addict Posts: 202   +22

maybe; in fact probably, a flash drive is plenty for my life.
  12. 16 hours of full HD video, 7,500 songs, 3,200 pictures and more than 125 apps, all on a single card

but how manny floppy?
  13. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,729   +1,093

I felt the same way, but I bought an HTC One anyway, and I honestly haven't missed the card slot. The One has 32GB for the same price as an S4 or Iphone 5's 16GB model. I've had the phone for almost a year and I've only had to move pictures off of it twice (about 1000 each time).

These SD cards have more applications than just phones though. I can see a 128GB being great for a tablet. Tablets are better devices for video than phones so they can use the extra space.
  14. cartera

cartera TS Addict Posts: 274   +67

How long until tablets and phones begin supporting this though. Most I have seen still only support 32GB expansion cards despite the until now max of 64GB.
  15. A lot of manufacturers don't advertise that they support 64GB but the device accepts it perfectly.
  16. cmbjive

cmbjive TS Booster Posts: 777   +137

How soon before MS and Sony offer their systems without hard drives and gives you a small flashcard instead?
  17. cliffordcooley

That's because of Secure Digital (SD) specifications. With 2TB top end and a mandatory exFAT file system, there is little to no room for incompatibility. Anything over 32GB will require SDXC compatibility.
  18. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,106   +1,376

Good catch, Shrekie...
  19. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Evangelist Posts: 1,373   +310

This still doesn't beat my 1TB USB Stick...
  20. cliffordcooley

Can you plug it into a phone? Must be awkward to use that way.
    That's 8 times storage capacity, while the dimensions are 200 times the size of MicroSD. MicroSDXC has its place, and can not be compared to a USB stick.
  21. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Evangelist Posts: 1,373   +310

My 1TB USB Stick is small enough to fit inside my phone.

cmbjive and cliffordcooley like this.
  22. Timonius

Timonius TS Evangelist Posts: 638   +56

Yeah, but what's the read/write performance on it. I think it's nice to see increased storage size for any type of flash memory. The more important issue will be how fast does it run - that '10' on the card means nothing these days.

Also, is the reliability (life expectancy, mtbf, etc.) going to be reasonable for long term storage compared to lower capacity cards?
  23. That's why I always encrypt my data before uploading it to the cloud. Even if the NSA get a hold of my info, they wouldn't be able to decrypt it in a reasonable amount of time.
    Darth Shiv likes this.
  24. Dukenukemx

Dukenukemx TS Member Posts: 71   +16

I wouldn't buy a device without a sd card slot. I also don't trust cloud, or ever care for it. My T-Mobile cell phone connection can barely play YouTube videos, and I want it to use Cloud? Let alone anything going on with the NSA.

Yea, give me that 128GB SD card.
  25. 128 GB * 1024 = 131072 MB

131072 / 1.44 MB = 91023 floppies, when rounded up.