TechSpot

Sandisk Cruzer Micro gone wild

By JTredboy00
Feb 2, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. First off I have read a lot of the previous threads and cannot find one that fits my problems. I recently bought a sandisk Cruzer micro 1G and I put it into my laptop and it worked great. then I tried to move a document from my laptop to my desktop (Dell Dimension 2400) and I actually got it to work (I don't know how) but now everytime I put it in my desktop my entire computer freezes until I remove the Cruzer Micro. But it still works fine on the laptop (has worked on 2 different laptops) so I don't know if it is my computer or the flash drive.Help Please!

2. PhilC2005

PhilC2005 TS Rookie Posts: 53

When the computer freezes, is the Hard Disk Access light on? Sometimes on my computer it just takes a while (1-2 minutes) searching for the driver for my USB stick. Try just leaving it in there for a while and seeing what happens.

3. JTredboy00

JTredboy00 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Nope that didn't work I left it in for about 10 minutes and no go. thelight blinked 2 times and I heard the little ding that windows does when it finds new hardware but nothing ran.

4. passwird.com

passwird.com TS Rookie

I am having this exact same problem except my 1GB Cruzer Micro freezes up every computer I put it into. Have you been able to find a fix?

5. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,552   +301

Find a linux or 98 computer (linux if its locking up a 98 machine). You don't even have to have a linux machine, just a linux live cd. Then format the drive as FAT32.

6. JTredboy00

JTredboy00 TS Rookie Topic Starter

When I went to format the disk there were 2 partitions. One was the autorun software and the other was the main memory. I formated the main memory to FAT32 and still nothing works.

7. CA_Tech

CA_Tech TS Rookie

I work with laptops and now boot them using USB thumb drives.

The hangs sounds like the USB drive you are using may contain a virus that has attached itself to the Master Boot Record (MBR) or other system file.

Run a virus scan on the thumb drive device using current virus definitions to see if that may be affecting your device.

8. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.