Sandy Bridge-E launching with reduced platform feature set?

Jos

Staff

A couple of weeks ago rumors started circulating that Sandy Bridge-E, the chip powering Intel's next-gen enthusiast platform, had been delayed from Q4 2011 to January 2012. Initial speculation suggested that the chip giant may be giving priority to its server CPU business and putting this relatively small high-end consumer market on hold for a quarter.

According to new information obtained by VR-Zone, however, Intel is having some issues with the new platform.

Apparently the company is trying really hard to get Sandy Bridge-E and the Waimea Bay platform onto the market before the end of this year, but it may have to downgrade the feature set to get around whatever issues it is having. Specifically, this means the X79 chipset (or platform controller hub) will have no PCI Express 3.0 storage uplink to the CPU and it will include four SATA/SAS 6Gbps ports instead of eight -- it will still get four 3Gbps ports, though.

Sandy Bridge-E was meant to be Intel's first native PCI Express 3.0-enabled CPU, but due to the lack of PCI Express 3.0 hardware to test with the company has decided to postpone this. VR-Zone says Intel is looking into some kind of solution to add the aforementioned features after launch, but that would likely mean a second revision of the X79 chipset itself, not a BIOS patch, as motherboard makers are simply not going to add interfaces that are not supported at launch.

Intel has reportedly run into a snag with the CPUs as well, as it is supposedly waiting for revision C-1 (instead of the C-0 in testing now) before it begins shipping the processors out to board partners for their qualification testing.

Permalink to story.

Thought I would point this little typo out :)

"next-gen enthusiast platform, had been delayed from Q4 2001 to January 2012".

Maybe I am rude, but they did not have support for PCI Express 3.0 because no one else launched it yet.

Some added info (courtesy of DonanimHaber) on the initial CPU offerings:

Core i7 3960X....3.3GHz (3.9GHz turbo) 6 cores/12 thread, 15MB L3 cache....unlocked multiplier
Core i7 3930K....3.2GHz (3.8GHz turbo) 6 cores/12 thread, 12MB L3 cache...unlocked multiplier
Core i7 3820.......3.6GHz (3.9GHz turbo) 4 cores/8 thread, 10MB L3 cache...locked multiplier.

Unlike the P67/Z68 Sandy Bridge CPU's/chipset, the clock generators are not linked, so "conventional" overclocking via baseclock (BCLK) adjustment -as with the X58- is still an option

Hmm. Me thinks the hex-cores will not be affordable to us normal folks. Kind of bummed to see the only affordable is the locked quad-core. Having an unlocked CPU makes overclocking much more convenient and simpler. Like AMD's unlocked black edition CPUs, which do pretty good OCing.

I would love to see an unlocked quad-core from Intel at the same price range as the SB 2600k.

So are the Sandy Bridge-E based Xeon processors going to be first to the market or the consumer ones.. Anyone know ?

Back