TechSpot

Sandy Bridge-E launching with reduced platform feature set?

By Jos
Jul 18, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. A couple of weeks ago rumors started circulating that Sandy Bridge-E, the chip powering Intel's next-gen enthusiast platform, had been delayed from Q4 2011 to January 2012. Initial speculation suggested…

Read the whole story

2. Thought I would point this little typo out :)

"next-gen enthusiast platform, had been delayed from Q4 2001 to January 2012".

3. mosu

mosu TS Guru Posts: 422   +48

Maybe I am rude, but they did not have support for PCI Express 3.0 because no one else launched it yet.

4. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,917   +684

Yes... Yes you are...

5. Jesse

Jesse TS Evangelist Posts: 359   +42

dumb. I've been waiting for this platform. I want to get rid of my x58 machine.

6. Stonos

Stonos TS Rookie Posts: 29

7. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TS Evangelist Posts: 1,631   +431

8. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,891   +1,258

Some added info (courtesy of DonanimHaber) on the initial CPU offerings:

Core i7 3960X....3.3GHz (3.9GHz turbo) 6 cores/12 thread, 15MB L3 cache....unlocked multiplier
    Core i7 3930K....3.2GHz (3.8GHz turbo) 6 cores/12 thread, 12MB L3 cache...unlocked multiplier
    Core i7 3820.......3.6GHz (3.9GHz turbo) 4 cores/8 thread, 10MB L3 cache...locked multiplier.

Unlike the P67/Z68 Sandy Bridge CPU's/chipset, the clock generators are not linked, so "conventional" overclocking via baseclock (BCLK) adjustment -as with the X58- is still an option

9. Hmm. Me thinks the hex-cores will not be affordable to us normal folks. Kind of bummed to see the only affordable is the locked quad-core. Having an unlocked CPU makes overclocking much more convenient and simpler. Like AMD's unlocked black edition CPUs, which do pretty good OCing.

I would love to see an unlocked quad-core from Intel at the same price range as the SB 2600k.

10. So are the Sandy Bridge-E based Xeon processors going to be first to the market or the consumer ones.. Anyone know ?