Sapphire 2900XT 512mb-freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.

h_pavon

It's been a while since I last posted in this site, this time I need to figure out why my pc freezes into a multicolor screen with game background sound after 30 min of gaming.

My specs are:
Gigabyte 965P DS3
E6600
Sapphire 2900XT 512mb
2gb Ram 800 FSB
3 Sata HD connected-320, 250 and 120gb
Audigy 2 ZS
500W PSU, single +12v rail/ 20A

A friend of mine says its the cheap psu which limits power to the gfx card so it freezes, he recommends a dual 12v rail and I need to keep price as low as possible so here are my options:
Rosewill RD500-2-DB Stallion Series
Rosewill RP500-2 Performance Series

So I figured stallion might do the trick since it has the 2x6pin pci-e connector the gfx card demands, what do you think?... will a new PSU prevent freezing? which PSU from above will work?

Thanks in advance!

Your friend is correct, 20A on the 12V rail is no way enough, I'm surprised it boots. You are probably running 22A and the PSU is just barely able to hang on, just long enough for it to overheat. I'd replace that asap and prob not even run that nice pc until I did (just encase the psu does blow and possible cause damage to mobo or other components)

kirock said:
Your friend is correct, 20A on the 12V rail is no way enough, I'm surprised it boots. You are probably running 22A and the PSU is just barely able to hang on, just long enough for it to overheat. I'd replace that asap and prob not even run that nice pc until I did (just encase the psu does blow and possible cause damage to mobo or other components)
10x m8, but which of the two PSU options above would u recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back