SATA-0 / SATA-2 Disk problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gswiss

When I connect a 2nd SATA disk to a DELL Dimension, it's recognised by the BIOS but not by Windows (nor Partition Magic, nor AIDA).

What I find odd is that I can see only 2 SATA plugs on the motherboard. However, the BIOS sees the original boot disk under Drive 0 and Port SATA-0. The new one is recognised as Drive 1 and Port SATA-2. What happened to SATA-1?

I wouldn't mind except that this might be a reason why the new disk is not seen by Windows.

Hmmm... Since Sata is set as shared... it will not required to set jumper. Put the SATA 0 as OS, try boot it up. if it works, plug in SATA 1. If it works. here u go. if not, it is bios problem. you should set it as Enchanced or SATA only under BIOS. If it has auto, use it.

MB has only SATA plugs, no IDEs except for the two optical drives. Thus the BIOS does not have an Enhanced option nor an auto option. The only option available has to do with the eventual use of "old" disks, whatever that means in the current situation. I didn't try that.

The original disk, which works fine, is of course the OS disk and on SATA-0. No problem there, with or without the 2nd disk.

I'm new to the use of SATA disks. Is SATA-0 always followed by SATA-2 or should it be SATA-1.

By the way, both disks are Seagate Barracudas. Shouln't have a problem due to mixed disks or something.

So both disks are SATA? Mixing IDE with SATA can cause some problems.

Regards,

Korrupt

MB has only SATA plugs, no IDEs except for the two optical drives
so this means you dont use IDE and Sata hdd together right?

Check bios that those two hdds are not set up as raid array in bios..
Can you see it under (right click) My computer>manage>Disk management?

If you can, then just need to initialise it for use ie formating. Two ways you can do this is to download the utillity from your hdd manufacturer's website that preps your hdd or right click on that hdd in the Disk management box and doing it through there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back