Sata 2 cables compatible with sata?

By RUDEBWOY
May 30, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. topic i got a sata 2 hd and a sata drive and some one told me the cables for sata 2 will work on my sata so i ordred 2 uv green sata 2 cables 10 inch.thanks in advanced for the help.
  2. CMH

CMH TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,572   +9

I don't see any problems, they are the same connectors....
  3. JimShady23

JimShady23 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 651

Hmm

I was gonna actually start a thread on this....is there any diff in sata 2 cables then standard sata as far as speed is concerned ? Or is it just sales jargin ?
  4. RUDEBWOY

RUDEBWOY Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 394

well from what frozen cpu told me and other people told me the red sata cables for sata2 is the same well we will see when i get it.

btw the speed on them is different but from what i heard you can use the same connectors just diff speeds on sata to sata 2 of course sata being the faster one.
  5. KingCody

KingCody TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,568   +7

sata cable color means nothing. if there is an official sata cable color specification, then it's certainly not adhered to. I have 3 different colored sata cables sitting unused; blue, grey, and red (all came with motherboards, I never bought an a sata cable by itself).

the cables that are marketed at "sata2 cables" are most likely a newer revision, higher quality cable. the newer revision adds a locking mechanism to the connectors themselves (a nice improvement, but has no effect on transfer speeds) and better shielding.

from what I have read, sata/sata1/sata150 cables should work on a sata2/sata300 drive. the newer revision cables are a little better, but have little or no effect on transfer speeds.

cheers :wave:
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.