SATA DevSleep: Getting us closer to instant-on laptops

By Julio Franco
Jul 16, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. A few years ago, SATA-IO added a new feature to the SATA specification designed to reduce battery consumption in portable computer products. DevSleep, enables SSDs to act more like smartphones, allowing you to go days without plugging in to recharge...

Read more
  2. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,009   +681

Since when can smartphones can go days without recharging? Sounds like an iPhantasy. Perhaps the fine print reads *when in airplane mode with the screen off.*
  3. They mean it can stay alive on idle for days, so I'm thinking that means locked with the display off.
  4. When I had a Commodore, it started fairly quickly, then you entered Load "*",8,1 and went and got a cup of tea or something and came back several minutes later to Run your program. Now we all complain about something taking a few seconds to be usable. I'd write more but I must hurry off...
  5. BMfan

BMfan TechSpot Guru Posts: 470   +47

I was wondering the same thing,would love to know what phone he has.
  6. cmbjive

cmbjive TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 443   +75

"When most PC users think about switching off their system, they dread waiting for the operating system to boot back up."

Wait? You guys turn your PCs off?
  7. Ignoring the comparison to smartphones, DevSleep is a very powerful feature that will let you put your notebook in a deep sleep mode, with most things shut down, using very little power, but will wake up very quickly, without having to boot it up.
    The other key point he makes is that the host and drive both need to support this feature, so if you plug a drive with DevSleep into a system without DevSleep, everything will work fine, except for DevSleep. It will take some time for this feature to become widespread.
    He focuses on SSDs, but HDDs will also support DevSleep. Depending on the implementation, I wouldn't be surprised if the wake up time for an HDD-based system is not noticably longer than the wake-up time for an SSD-based system.
  8. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,746   +1,421

Maybe back when I had a Celeron D, that took over 3 minutes to boot. Since my Core2 Quad 9400, a 1 minute bootup hasn't bothered me at all. And now I'm booting an i7-2600K installed on a SSD. Waiting 30 seconds for Windows to load is nothing. Complaining because you are not booting faster than 30 seconds is trivial. Press the power button before you sit down and before you have time to get real good and comfortable, your machine will be ready to go.
    Yes I do. I'd rather turn the PC completely off, than use hibernation or sleep.
  9. avoidz

avoidz TechSpot Maniac Posts: 453   +53

I don't get why it's such a big deal about boot up times. A minute or two waiting is nothing. Is it the constant need for instant gratification?
    cliffordcooley likes this.
  10. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 3,383   +607

So they just invented S3 'sleep mode'? Cool.
  11. H3llion

H3llion TechSpot Paladin Posts: 945   +94

S3, S4 and Notes can have a large battery pack purchased (adds into weight and size of the phone) and you can go without charging for few days depending on usage.

12. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 3,383   +607

Yeah, but you can also leave it connected to mains and say it has 300 days power. :\
    cmbjive likes this.
  13. H3llion

H3llion TechSpot Paladin Posts: 945   +94

Ah yes, I am on 4 days right now hah :D More of a software glitch then anything imho.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.