SATA drive not detecting on cold boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

This is my first post on the forum, so go easy with me.

I have just built a new machine all seemed ok, but I have discovered the BIOS doesn't detect the Segate ST3808110AS SATA drive after a cold boot. If I hit reset or Cntrl ALT Del it boots normally, but not from a first cold boot.

At a cold boot the Bios seems to be looking for quite a while, gives up & reports no Boot drive press any key. If I ctrl alt delete all is fine and Windows XP boots normally. I can restart Windows, all is ok. If I do a complete shutdown and power up it sits for quite a while then reports no boot drive found.

The motherboard is a Gigabyte K8VM800M rev 2.0. I have flashed the BIOS to the latest version (RD), no difference. I have looked under advanced settings for a timing function for the HDD to try extending the detection time, there is none. The SATA setting is set to IDE not RAID. I have tried using Failsafe settings, no good.

I inserted a link on the Seagate drive to slow it from 3GB/s to 1.5GB/s still no good.

I've run out of ideas, can any one help? Any response or ideas would be much appreciated.

In BIOS, you should have an option to set a delay before detecting hard drives - this will give your SATA enough time to spin up and respond to BIOS probes.

If you can't find that option, then just disable quick boot - the time it takes to test your RAM should be enough to let the HD catch up.

Thanks for the reply Nodsu.

Unfortunately There was no BIOS settings to slow the HDD detection time, nor was there one to disable quick boot.

I kept tinkering and I finally solved the problem, although I don't know why this works.

I changed the BIOS SATA mode from IDE to RAID and now the cold boot works fine. Maybe this changes the detection time and allows the drive to fully spin up. I hope this thread may be usefull for others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back