SATA Drive Not Recognized

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I just got a Western Digital 80GB SATA drive for Chirstmas and went to install it, but the drive was never recognized. I tried installing Windows and Linux onto it, but neither saw. Even after install the drivers from the motherboard CD, it did not work. I now have Windows installed on a IDE drive and am trying to use the SATA drive as a secondary, but no such luck. Any help would be appreciated.

Stats:
Antec TrueBlue 480W PSU
MSI VIA KM400 Motherboard
Athlon XP 1.6 Ghz
512MB DDR RAM
Mad Dog 5.1 / Onboard Sound
40GB WD HD
15GB QF HD
ATi AIW 9600

Thanks!

You CAN NOT use a SATA drive and an IDE drive on the same channel.
Move the SATA HD to the other controller

What do you mean? I have two IDE drives on the first IDE channel and a DVD drive and a CD-RW on the second IDE channel. The SATA drive is on the first SATA channel. Is that wrong?

nop its not from the way my setup is
I have almost the same setup and my sata drive is running fine.
go to the WD website look for updated drivers same with the MB
since my mb is 2 yrs old I'm thinking it is part of the XP drivers set
I have a seagate 160 used the seagate GUI w32 tools to load
don't use dos utility if you have an xp invironment already running.
please check your hdd by going into computer management go look at the list of drives
it may be it is there but not formatted so with the Wd tools or here you need to format drive

Yeah I check in Storage Management and it is not there. I haven't seen any drivers on the WD site, would they be for the SATA controller or for the hard drive?

Thanks!

Did it come with a disk that you setup the partitions with? I had to go through that before anything would recognize it.

No, I bought the drive OEM, so it just came with the drive, nothing else. The motherboard came with a CD and a floppy both with the drivers on there, but they are for RAID or PIDE, which I don't think is right because even when i install those, it doesn't work? I was thinking maybe the drive is defective.

The RAID drivers you found on the floppy should be the ones you want. I know it's misleading when it says RAID drivers but it is really SATA/RAID drivers. DO NOT bother looking for the drivers at the hard drive manufacturer's website because they are not there. I have an MSI motherboard too (different model though) and you install the SATA/RAID drivers from the floppy - end of story. If in doubt, MSI's website is where you can download the latest SATA/RAID drivers for their motherboards. Just look for your SATA chipset to make sure you get the right one. It's there. I checked and found yours there already. That said, since you already have the floppy, why bother? When you install the drivers, I recommend you install all of the drivers simply to make sure you have installed all the right drivers and did not inadvertently skip one. If you install any RAID drivers you don't need, there is no harm in having them there. Your floppy should say something like, "VIA PIDE/SATA RAID Drivers & Utility," I think

Go into the BIOS to make sure the SATA controllers are enabled and then check the Device Manager in the Control Panel to see if the SATA controllers have a yellow exclamation mark next them. If they do, there is something wrong with the driver setup or you still need to install the drivers. If not, the drivers should be installed and the SATA hard drive should be recognized.

If the drivers seem to be installed but the SATA HDD is still not recognized, try uninstalling it in the Device Manager, restarting and let Windows find the "new" hardware and automatically reinstall the controller and driver. With any luck you should be okay after that.

It's a Western Digital hard drive and an MSI KM400 motherboard.

OK, I got the drivers for the VIA SATA RAID Controller installed and there is no yellow exclamation point by the device. However, when I attach the drive, the yellow exclamation point appears again. What does this mean?

did u check the connectors and also make sure it is turned on thru the bios . i never lost a ide connector from using sata drives 2 totally different channels . the exclamation point means the drivers not installed or a conflict . try installing the drivers thru device manager

The SATA HDD should have already have been connected when you installed the drivers. Now you can try to uninstall the SATA HDD in the Device Manager (not physically, just in the Device Manager), restart, Windows will detect the HDD and reinstall the drivers hopefully.

Okay. I got what you are saying about it not showing in the Device Manager. However, it's not clear to me if you physically connected the SATA hdd BEFORE you installed the drivers. Did you?

Dragon, where do I check in the BIOS? The only thing I see are the IDE channels.

mailpup, the drive was not connected when I was installing the drivers, but as soon as I did connect it, the yellow ! appeared, meaning there was a problem with them. The hard drive has never shown up in the Device Manager.

You did not install the drivers correctly. You must connect the SATA hard drive to the motherboard BEFORE you install the drivers. That's why they don't show up. The drivers won't install properly without the device connected first.

as malipup said it has to be connected first before drivers . is ur south bridge the 8237 ? bc if it is then in the bios under intigrated peripherals it will list the sata sub menu you enter that , this is where u turn on sata on either normal mode ( sata ) or raid , then u can also have it show up the sata Bios portion where u can set up the drives . read the manual for more information on that . in the cmos if you turned on the sata ports it should be listed there after u plugged in the sata drive and restarted saving changes in the bios . then once windows boots up it will detect new hardware and ask for the drivers at that point and time .. if it is hooked up and u turned on sata in bios and still no go try putting the sata drive in another plug .

Well, I uninstalled the drivers, made sure the drive was attached, reinstalled the drivers and still nothing. I tried the other SATA port on the mobo, but nothing. There is still an error with the driver.

When your PC first boots, you should see a message that says something like hit "Delete" to enter Setup. Sometimes it's another key. Anyway that's how you enter the BIOS. Once in the BIOS do as DragonFury suggests. See if it shows in the BIOS. Make sure the SATA controller is enabled.

For my stat drive I have a disk that went through some installations and partitions. For my western digital it was called data lifeguard tools. I think you can get it off their website.

OK, I disconnected the drive and uninstalled the drivers, reconnected it and went into BIOS. Under Integrated Periphials, this is what I found that seems to apply (the underlined choice is the one I have selected:

VIA OnChip IDE Devices ->
OnChip SATA - Enabled ; Disabled
IDE DMA transfer access - Enabled ; Disabled
OnChip IDE Channel0 - Enabled ; Disabled
OnChip IDE Channel1 - Enabled ; Disabled
Primary Master PI0 - Auto ; Mode0 ; Mode1 ; Mode2; Mode3; Mode4
Primary Slave PI0 - Auto ; Mode0 ; Mode1 ; Mode2; Mode3; Mode4
Secondary Master PI0 - Auto ; Mode0 ; Mode1 ; Mode2; Mode3; Mode4
Secondary Slave PI0 - Auto ; Mode0 ; Mode1 ; Mode2; Mode3; Mode4
Primary Master UDMA - Auto ; Mode0 ; Mode1 ; Mode2; Mode3; Mode4
Primary Slave UDMA - Auto ; Mode0 ; Mode1 ; Mode2; Mode3; Mode4
Secondary Master UDMA - Auto ; Mode0 ; Mode1 ; Mode2; Mode3; Mode4
Secondary Slave UDMA - Auto ; Mode0 ; Mode1 ; Mode2; Mode3; Mode4

SuperIO Device ->
Onboard FDC Controller - Enabled ; Disabled
Onboard Serial Port 1 - Auto ; 3F8/IRQ4 ; 2F8/IRQ3 ; 3E8/IRQ4 ; 2E8/IRQ3 ; Disabled
Onboard Serial Port 2 - Auto ; 3F8/IRQ4 ; 2F8/IRQ3 ; 3E8/IRQ4 ; 2E8/IRQ3 ; Disabled
UART Mode Select - Normal ; ASKIR ; IrDA
*Other Settings here that change depending upon the previous selection*
Onboard Parallel Port - Disabled ; 378/IRQ7 ; 278/IRQ5 ; 3BC/IRQ7
Parallel Port Mode - SPP ; EPP ; ECP ; ECP + EPP ; Normal
ECP Mode Use DMA - 1 ; 3

The other settings in the Integrated Periphials section were about PCI stuff that I did think applied. Will changing any of those settings help?

Thanks!

I just installed Linux (Debian 3.1) and it does not see the drive either. So either a BIOS setting needs to be changed or the drive is defective, what do you think?

from reading your first post youve already got 2 hdd's in and what roms have you got in (dvd/cdr) ?

ould it be you havnt enough power try taking the power of one of your hdd's obviously not the one with O S in and then try the divers for sata/raid off your chipset disc which you put onto floppy ive only ever done one sata drive a 80 gig one in the kids's pc its the only drive in there and i used the cd which came with the motherboard and browsed it in the chipset folder i found raid drivers there was two items which i put onto floppy and then rebooted the pc pressed f6 for to install raid drivers it read them and then went ahead with the fromat and then installed windows on ive never tried to install one as a second drive i can only assume that when you boot press f6 to loadd sata drivers then when windows comes on goto drive management and if its in there fromat it from windows.

If you think the drives faulty take it back to the shop they will test it and let you know but if your getting no fault sound from the motherboard i wouldnt think it was broken .

you could also try taking all the drives out and just installing the sata the way i did' there could be the IRQ has conflicts and you need to assign the drive to an IRQ that isnt being used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back