Sata hd problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
okay heres the deal, i have a hitachi sata "HD" that i use for storage in my pc. i have another hd that i installed my os on. after i reformatted my comp (xp home) i couldn't get my sata to work. the computer recognizes it under device manager and everything but i can't access it. (it says its dynamic) i tried dl drivers from msi but that didn't work either. my only option at this point is to convert my hd from dynamic to basic which would hence delete everything on my hd, something i wish not to do. help?

Sata driver or Sata hard drive ?

"driver"
Thats confuseing.If it's a Sata HD why isn't this newer and better HD used for your OS ?
I installed XP home on mine,then connected my IDE to copy my storage to my 3 partitioned Sata.Or you could just use the IDE for storage.
I think that would work out better.
But i'm not really sure what your asking .

In Disk management, do you get an option to Initialize the dynamic disk? Does the disk show up with a drive letter and/or does it say the drive is active or online?
Initialize the disk if you can, which you should be able to.

yes

temporary hd until i upgrade it.

and no it doesn't show its online. it says its: Disk 1 dynamic and foreign. there is no option to initialize.

If you are seeing the disk as foreign you should have an option to initialize the disk.

Through Disk management, go towards the bottom of the screen where your disks are shown in bar graph form. Where your disk says DISK 0 or whatever number, right-click and you should get an initialize option.

Foreign disks and/or dynamic require you to initialize the disk before use.

nope, no initialize option only conver back to basic, properties, and help. is there another driver i might need?

Original ?

Re driver ?
It appears you know how to install a Sata HD if you did it before.
Then you should have made a Raid "driver" floppy disk for F6 prompt.
I added an IDE to my pc and it didn't affect my Sata.
Have you got much to lose if you start over completly and install the OS
on the Sata for better performance ?
Then connnect the IDE as Secondary Master.

hindsight is 20/20. and i did weigh that option and the reason i posted this is cause i don't want that to happen.

with 3rd party tools should be able to do convert without data loss
I have done basic to dynamic and that worked not sure about the other way
by way have you tried taking possession of the drive
some cases of reload the new machine ID does not access older system ID drive

Samstoned said:
with 3rd party tools should be able to do convert without data loss
I have done basic to dynamic and that worked not sure about the other way
by way have you tried taking possession of the drive
some cases of reload the new machine ID does not access older system ID drive

i don't know exactly how to do that. please explain?

zipperman said:
"driver"
Thats confuseing.If it's a Sata HD why isn't this newer and better HD used for your OS ?
I installed XP home on mine,then connected my IDE to copy my storage to my 3 partitioned Sata.Or you could just use the IDE for storage.
I think that would work out better.
But i'm not really sure what your asking .
do not mix IDE and SATA in the same system. While it may work, eventually it will crash as Windows defaults to IDE during system errors. This is not well documented, but it does happen. Use one type of drive or the other. It is just a matter of time. When windows does crash it write OS information to the IDE drive thereby making the system unbootable as windows can't figure out which drive to boot off of - IDE or SATA.

I have a tool that is SATA to USB. I use it all the time in cases like this. Basically I take the HDD out of the PC and connect to to another via USB. It cost me AUD$30.00 and I bought the IDE adapter also.

Why after a format would your PC recognise your drive as dynamic? I have 3x SATA HDD's, 2 are full of data and one contains my OS. I have formatted hundreds of times and not once has my HDD's been converted to dynamic. It just doesn't make sense ...

Unless you did something during the format, nothing else would explain it. It was online and recognised by Windows beforehand right? Then what? Did you open your PC up? Did you insert the WinXP CD and go for a format?

Try taking the HDD out and trying it in another PC and if that works, purchase a SATA to USB adapter and back-up your data.

mikescorpio81 said:
I have a tool that is SATA to USB. I use it all the time in cases like this. Basically I take the HDD out of the PC and connect to to another via USB. It cost me AUD$30.00 and I bought the IDE adapter also.

Why after a format would your PC recognise your drive as dynamic? I have 3x SATA HDD's, 2 are full of data and one contains my OS. I have formatted hundreds of times and not once has my HDD's been converted to dynamic. It just doesn't make sense ...

Unless you did something during the format, nothing else would explain it. It was online and recognised by Windows beforehand right? Then what? Did you open your PC up? Did you insert the WinXP CD and go for a format?

Try taking the HDD out and trying it in another PC and if that works, purchase a SATA to USB adapter and back-up your data.

thats basically what i'm doing. i purchased a USB adapter. and i don't know. for some reason i have the worst luck when it comes with computers. the hdd was recognized before and worked fine. i formatted only my other hdd and didn't touch my sata. the only thing i can think of is that i used two different OS. i used a cracked XP pro when i installed the sata and when i reformatted i used my legit XP home. maybe the different OS caused a problem. other than that i have no idea.

Tedster said:
do not mix IDE and SATA in the same system. While it may work, eventually it will crash as Windows defaults to IDE during system errors. This is not well documented, but it does happen. Use one type of drive or the other. It is just a matter of time. When windows does crash it write OS information to the IDE drive thereby making the system unbootable as windows can't figure out which drive to boot off of - IDE or SATA.

Huh? :confused: Can you describe this in better detail?

eventually it will crash as Windows defaults to IDE during system errors.
The boot order is determined by the BIOS, not Windows. When you first turn your computer on, the processor loads the BIOS. The BIOS runs some code that searches programmed devices for a MBR (aka. 'boot sector' and 'boot record'). Once it identifies bootable media, it then boots to the best possible device. This device is generally whatever you select in the CMOS configuration. So it doesn't matter what Windows writes where, it will always boot to whatever device the BIOS specifies... So you can't be talking about this.

When windows does crash it write OS information to the IDE drive thereby making the system unbootable as windows can't figure out which drive to boot off of - IDE or SATA.[/
What OS information? After the BIOS/MBR bootstrapping process, the only code really involved in booting are C:\NTLDR, C:\boot.ini and NTDETECT. Does it alter these files?

In a nuthshell, once control is passed from the BIOS to the drive's MBR, the MBR instructs the the processor to run the Windows 'boot loader'. It is at this point when Windows can finally have control of the boot process. This is where things would have to go awry, but I don't see how?

Here's a more detailed breakdown of the boot process:
  1. System POST
  2. BIOS searches for the best possible bootable device and loads the MBR (AKA: master boot record, master boot sector)
  3. The MBR finds the active partition and passes control to the boot loader (NTLDR).
  4. NTLDR prepares for the boot process (Loads file system drivers to read FAT32 and NTFS).
  5. NTLDR loads boot.ini and displays the boot menu (if available)
  6. NTLDR begins to load Windows XP/2000 by running NTDETECT and loading HAL and NTOSKRNL.
I don't see how Windows has much room for error here unless it edits the boot.ini? Maybe it damages the NTLDR, HAL, NTOSKRNL or NTDETECT? These things would happen regardless of your drive configuration though, if that's the case? I am unsure how to explain what you've experienced?

Excuse my skepticism, but I've been running IDE / SATA together for years and I've worked on many, many, many systems with a 'hybrid' setup. I've yet to encounter an issue like the one you're talking about.

Fortunately, if anything does happen to the MBR, NTLDR, HAL, NTDETECT, NTOSKRNL.EXE or BOOT.INI, it is a quick snap to repair using the Windows install CD and recovery console. Just one or two commands and you're back in business. :)

I don't see this as such a huge concern.

i have another hd that i installed my os on. after i reformatted my comp (xp home) i couldn't get my sata to work. the computer recognizes it under device manager and everything but i can't access it. (it says its dynamic)
The answer to this is Windows Home cannot read Dynamic Disks. Windows XP Pro can.

Typically, if this were Pro, you would open up Disk Manager (diskmgmt.msc), right click on the disk and "Import Foreign Disk". Windows XP Home does not have this functionality built in, though.

There might be some sort of hack to allow Dynamic Disk functionality in Home. I haven't had any experience with that, though. :\

If this is true RE: WinXP Home cannot recognise Dynamic disks, then you have hit the nail on the head! Well done =]

So WinXP Home cannot create a software RAID-0? Or perhaps extend partitions?

mikescorpio81 said:
If this is true RE: WinXP Home cannot recognise Dynamic disks, then you have hit the nail on the head! Well done =]

So WinXP Home cannot create a software RAID-0? Or perhaps extend partitions?

Sure can't... :(

Although... I do remember reading how to enable RAID in diskmgmt through some mods. This might give you some hope in dealing with Dynamic Disks.

Rick said:
Sure can't... :(

Although... I do remember reading how to enable RAID in diskmgmt through some mods. This might give you some hope in dealing with Dynamic Disks.

do you know where i can find such a mod?

Rick said:
Huh? :confused: Can you describe this in better detail?

The boot order is determined by the BIOS, not Windows. When you first turn your computer on, the processor loads the BIOS. The BIOS runs some code that searches programmed devices for a MBR (aka. 'boot sector' and 'boot record'). Once it identifies bootable media, it then boots to the best possible device. This device is generally whatever you select in the CMOS configuration. So it doesn't matter what Windows writes where, it will always boot to whatever device the BIOS specifies... So you can't be talking about this.

What OS information? After the bootstrapping process, the only code really involved in booting are C:\NTLDR and C:\boot.ini. Does it alter these files?

In a nuthshell, once control is passed from the BIOS to the drive/s MBR, the MBR instructs the the processor to run a 'boot loader'. It is at this point when Windows can finally have control of the boot process. This is where things would have to go awry, but I don't see how?

Take Windows XP for example - the boot loader is C:\NTLDR. NTLDR instructs the processor to boot Windows or display a menu which consists of a list of installed OSes or other programs. This boot process and boot list is compiled from C:\boot.ini. NTLDR instructs Windows to boot and that's the end of the boot process for all intents and purposes. I don't see how Windows has much room for error here unless it edits the boot.ini? Maybe it damages the NTLDR? These things would happen regardless of your drive configuration though, if that's the case. :\

Excuse my skepticism, but I've been running IDE / SATA together for years and I've worked on many, many, many systems with a 'hybrid' setup. I've yet to encounter an issue like the one you're talking about.

Fortunately, if anything does happen to the MBR, NTLDR or BOOT.INI, it is a quick snap to repair using the Windows install CD and recovery console. Just one or two commands and you're back in business. :)

I don't see this as such a huge concern.
YES - on many systems it works fine, provided the hardware and software are up to date. HOWEVER, this is not true on all system. Many older systems and older BIOS revisions cannot handle both IDE and SATA without running into periodic errors.
See my other post.

I imagine by now, most new motherboards shouldn't have any issues at all. However I did have issues with an MSI K7N2 board specifically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back