SATA/IDE problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

My friend's computer broke. Windows XP wouldn't load up and safemode wasn't much use. There were some important video editing files on the HD, so I agreed to help him. Having more knowledge of computers than him, I suggested the best solution would be to buy a new HD, install Windows on that, and then put the old HD back in, as a data HD.

I bought an 80GB IDE HD, but after opening up his case I discovered he had a SATA HD. I wasn't too worried and continued by taking the old HD out and installing Windows on the new one. It worked fine and Windows ran without problems. However, when I put the SATA HD back, when the computer got the the windows XP loading screen, a blue screen of death appears for a second and it reboots itself. Funnily, I can run this setup in safemode and access both of the HDs.

The operating system is Windows XP home edition. I can get you the specs of the HD and mobo if you think they'll help

Thanks,

Alex

The thing is with SATA HD's is they default as master (there is no jumper), so what's probably happening is it's booting from the SATA and you are encountering the original problem.
Solutions:
1) Boot with the WinXP CD and try a Windows repair on the SATA.
2) Boot into Safe mode, copy over the important files from SATA to IDE drive. Then format SATA.
3) This depends on your BIOS revision: Set the IDE HD as the primary boot. (Some BIOS won't let you do this if a SATA is present and will default the SATA as Promary boot). Then it's back to solution 1 or 2 or set up a dual boot.

Pillai

HI FuelKat,
First Check u r Bios Setting.Whether it's First boot is from sata (or) Pata.Set It TO Pata(IDE).Then try To copy u old sata to Ide.If u have Any Pbm.THen Boot from Xp Cd And COpy from DOs.

I would not play around with repair something that ain't broke
sata does not default to master
its between the bios setup and the OS boot.ini thats giving the error

you need to read the manual and reset the bios to boot from the ide drive
there may be 2 panel that need configed to do this
as I said read the MANUAL

I checked the HD booting priority, and the IDE is definately first. If I change it to SATA as first, it boots from the original (broken) windows.

Whats this about a boot.ini?

You didn't supply Windows with SATA drivers while installing it, did you?

You can try telling the BIOS that there is no SATA drive so that the Windows bootloader wouldn't try to do anything with it (if it isn't enumerated by the BIOS, then it doesn't exist before SATA drivers come up).

FuelKat said:
I checked the HD booting priority, and the IDE is definately first. If I change it to SATA as first, it boots from the original (broken) windows.

Whats this about a boot.ini?

So is it the fact that WHEN it boots from the SATA you get the BSOD
or the BSOD happens with the new fresh IDE WinXP install?

If the BSOD happens with the new install then prob best to reformat and install fresh this time have a SATA driver floppy ready and do the F6 and install the SATA drivers before the XP install.

if you have 2 OS systems on 2 bootable devices and there is a conflict
between the bios boot priority and the boot.ini in the OS
then you may get BSOD or checkerrors
boot ini tells the bios where to find the OS oe witch one to boot first

M$ website has section on config manual of boot file
the bios has 2 pages normly for MB's that use ide and SATA drive
first page is a simple default boot order, 2nd tell what drive takes priority over what.and what type of hdd system as with a lot of sata and sata drivers they can do raid ,raid like.
and I did not think to ask if you loaded the drivers for the raid chip(sata chip)
you need to do this.

Here is my Boot.ini from a SATA only drive.

[boot loader]
timeout=0
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

Maybe the easiest way is post a copy of yours and Samstoned can have a look at it for you. Right click My Computer/properties/Advanced Tab/Start-up &Recovery Settings/Edit. (be careful not to accidently change something)

I'm sorry for the confusion but what I had read and understood was that SATA's will show up as disk(0) and thus by default end up being the initial boot disk in Windows.

You get the Windows logo sreen. This means that any bootloaders and the boot.ini have already done their job. Your problem is with Windows itself.

In Safe Mode, disable automatic rebooting ater BSOD, so you can make sense of the thing.

Nodsu said:
You get the Windows logo sreen. This means that any bootloaders and the boot.ini have already done their job. Your problem is with Windows itself.

In Safe Mode, disable automatic rebooting ater BSOD, so you can make sense of the thing.

From my previous post:
So is it the fact that WHEN it boots from the SATA you get the BSOD
or the BSOD happens with the new fresh IDE WinXP install?

If the BSOD happens with the new install then prob best to reformat and install fresh this time have a SATA driver floppy ready and do the F6 and install the SATA drivers before the XP install.

I knew I wasn't going crazy, Thanks Nodsu

Please don't hijack this thread legion, it will get very confusing. :(

I think I'm gonna stop it from auto-restarting and post the error message.

Also - what do that SATA drivers do and how are they installed etc? (If I were to reformat my IDE drive and reinstall windows, would I need to install SATA drivers before hand or something?)

Thanks for all the responses btw, you've been really helpful, it would be great if it got fixed :)

SATA drivers, like most other drivers, let Windows talk to specific hardware - the SATA controller in this case. Yes, you need a special floppy disk to load the drivers during the Windows setup procedure.

During the boot process, basic BIOS routines are used to load the OS core components from the hard drive. Once the drivers are loaded, the BIOS interface is ditched and Windows will start talking to hardware directly. If you don't have any drivers, Windows is left with a hard drive (BIOS said it's there), but no way to talk to it.

Is it not possible to install the drivers after the OS has been installed?

EDIT:

I still can't read the BSOD error message, I checked the "Automatically Restart" setting and it was unchecked. Strange. Any ideas?

However, here is the boot.ini file:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /NoExecute=OptIn /fastdetect

I also looked into the drivers, details for both Drives:

WDCWD2000JD-00HBBO (SATA HD)

Driver Provider: Microsoft
Driver Date: 01/07/2001
Driver Version: 5.1.2535.0

File names: disk.sys, PartMgr.sys

It is exactly the same for the IDE drive:

Maxtor 6Y080P0 (IDE HD)

Driver Provider: Microsoft
Driver Date: 01/07/2001
Driver Version: 5.1.2535.0

File names: disk.sys, PartMgr.sys

As for the bluescreen that restarts before I can read it, I've tried event viewer but I'm really not sure what I'm looking for.

No you must install them before Windows installs. I've only done it once last September on my new PC with a SATA HDD so I can't prefectly remember the routine but I'll try.

1) Reformat the IDE to start fresh. Do the same for the SATA drive. Leave both connected and confirm they are detected in the BIOS.
2) Install the WinCD and in the opening menu there is an option which the response is F6. Find that. This is about installing 3rd party drivers (The SATA part).
3) Follow those on screen instructions. Insert the floppy with the SATA drivers (obtain from mobo website). Follow the on screen instruction. you're done SATA driver install. Remove the floppy and allow to reboot with WinCD in.
4) Now you're back to the WinCD and the original first menu and you've done this part already.

Cheers.

Well actually I don't either, I was going to say I used my CD from the mobo install software kit (which I did) but thought that looked to complicated so deleted that sentence in my last post.
One way or another you need to have those SATA drivers beofre you install Windows.

thats a good question
maybe under repair
let install run like normal and when it asks for 3rd party drivers install then go to repair console and do search for same see if it installed drivers
I don't think format has much to do with mounting drivers
OS need to run the chip drivers software to talk to the hdd on that channel

sata nice learning curve
you'd think with all the new sata drives on market Bill would send everyone a new copy of xp with the driver library on it,ya right
I am glad the scsi drivers are on it or I'd be back with W2K

So if I reformated the IDE drive, installed windows on it again and installed the SATA drivers while I was at it, I could have the SATA drive working with all the old files on it?

Maybe.. :p Just make sure you pick the right hard drive during the WIndows installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back