SATA II and Bluescreen

Status
Not open for further replies.

tryongliph

hello everyone,
i have 2 questions i need answers to. i am using an EVGA 680i premium motherboard and a 250 SATA II hard drive(forgotten the make). i have vista installed on it but i want to install xp64.

q1- when i insert the cd and start, the cd loads and all until it gets to the page asking if i want to install, repair or leave. i choose install and the computer freezes. it doesn't do anything. i know that this is a problem with the new motherboards and SATA II hard drives and this question has been asked many times but i've searched and none of the answers are clear enough. can anyone brief me on what to do?

q2-with the vista installed anytime i try to install the items that the motherboard requires from the cd that it comes with it works but as soon as i restart the system, i get a bluescreen. i downloaded the vista chipset for the board and installed that and still got a bluescreen. is there any way around this issue as well?

thank you

hmmm

hello everyone,
i have 2 questions i need answers to. i am using an EVGA 680i premium motherboard and a 250 SATA II hard drive(forgotten the make). i have vista installed on it but i want to install xp64.

q1- when i insert the cd and start, the cd loads and all until it gets to the page asking if i want to install, repair or leave. i choose install and the computer freezes. it doesn't do anything. i know that this is a problem with the new motherboards and SATA II hard drives and this question has been asked many times but i've searched and none of the answers are clear enough. can anyone brief me on what to do?

q2-with the vista installed anytime i try to install the items that the motherboard requires from the cd that it comes with it works but as soon as i restart the system, i get a bluescreen. i downloaded the vista chipset for the board and installed that and still got a bluescreen. is there any way around this issue as well?

thank you

q1- First off you are trying to install xp64 bit, do you even know if your computer is compatible with running xp 64? Since you have a newer board the answer you would probably assume is yes. So base off of what you said this is what i came to. The issue mainly isnt due to freezing when installing OS with new modeled motherboards. It is the raid issue.

Make sure you arent on raid with your previous installation of vista. If you have a single Sata 2 hd running vista it would be fine.
But if you are trying to reinstall xp64 and you are installing it on two hds that are raided you need to install the raid drivers first. See what i am getting at? It would only freeze if the mother board cannot detect the hds.

However if it was a single drive and you are installing and it keeps freezing. It leads me to believe your xp64 disk is damaged some way. By the way you are telling me it also means you want dual booting right? Since you arent deleting your old partition with vista on it.

q2- you only get a blue screen of death when your OS is not installed correctly on the HD because it is missing files. Sometimes it is not best to install everything that the CD comes with. I suggest you find out what your mother board manufacturer is and go to their website and download the latest bios/ firmware/ drivers / etc. This would fix a lot of the issues you have with the hard drive etc. That is if your xp64 disk isnt damaged.

Hope this helps.

manacloud1, thanks for all the info, unfortunately, i have already done everything there is to do. i have visited the site of evga and downloaded the vista chipset for the board, i am using a single hd but have partitioned it into three different locations for effecient storage, hell i have even tried installing just xp32 bit but all isn't working.
the funny thing though is that over the weekend, i was looking through my stuff and i found a floppy meant to install raid on the board and it said compatible with xp32 bit, which lead me to believe that the board could be meant for just xp32 yet vista ultimate runs on it fairly well so i am stuck with vista and i don't know what to do.
i'll keep searching for answers but if you have anymore tips or news please lemme know.
thanks

Heads up - XP-64 was a bit before it's time. It is not being supported by anyone, even MS by my understanding. Anyone wanting 64-bit processing is pointed towards Vista-64

why not use vistas partioning and creat another partition then load xp64 on the new "drive" then just go in to xp once loaded and deleted all of the vista "drive or partition"

just an idea.

Hmm,
(gbhall) i think i'll try the Vista-64,
(kingkong)i haven't seen the partitioning program provided in vista but i'll look into that one too.
i was also thinking of just getting another board if all these do not work, what do you guys suggest?

in vista go to my computer and right click, click on manage, then select the storage option with in the box. It should pull up the size and crap of your HDD, right click anywere on the drive section and a box should show up and ask if you want to shink or expand the drive. Obvisouly just hit shink and but in how many MB you want to shink the drive. then you can right click on the new section created byt he shirnk and hit format drive..or somthing like that.

hmmm

Hmm,
(gbhall) i think i'll try the Vista-64,
(kingkong)i haven't seen the partitioning program provided in vista but i'll look into that one too.
i was also thinking of just getting another board if all these do not work, what do you guys suggest?

why not save money and get another hard drive instead?

yeah, i saw the shrink option. i tried as soon as i read your earlier post. let's see what happens by tomorrow. thanks.

(manacloud1)i had a 750gig harddrive and it drove me crazy, so i opted for a 250 for now and see the problems i'm having. the issue is the compatibility of sata II and xp if one is using these new motherboards that come with raid slots.

i thought xp couldnt read any drives over 500gb????? could that be the probelm....
mabye clearing the bois and doing a full reinstall on the 250.... mabye im retarded iuno.... i had two 500 gigers a while back on xp and they worked fine...who knows, thats computers for ya.

(kingkong) oh, i installed vista on that one. haha, i'm so tired i'm thinking of getting a new board. what do you guys suggest, or should i stick to this one. i mean it's a very good board. it is an award winning board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back