SATA install help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just installed my new 250GB WD SATA drive in my comp and as always with something new ive had a few problems. First of all windows didnt recognise it which i kinda expected so I d/l some utility from the Western Digital website for my type of HD. It installed then picked it up and said "edit registry to accept HDs over 137GB" so I said yes, restarted, then i could see the HD My Computer as you can see in the first pic ( H: )

Problem is when I restart the comp Windows keeps finding new hardware and i have to go through about 3 of these 'found new hardware' popups. Although it always says it failed to install. The drive is still working ok though. Have i done something wrong? There is a pic of the problem in the 2nd image.

My M/B is an ASUS P4P800S and ive installed the latest Chipset Drivers and have all the Windows updates for XP SP2.

I dunno if this helps at all but in the BIOS my Comp is setup as follows. I dunno why the 80GB is slave i never remember putting it like that.

Primary IDE
- Master -
- Slave - 80GB IDE HD ( C: Windows & D: )

Secondary IDE
- Master - CD/DVD Drive
- Slave - DVD Burner

Third IDE
- Master - 250GB SATA HD ( H: )

Any help much appreciated.

Shouldn't the 250GB SATA HD be connected to a SATA controller, not an IDE controller? And master/slave doesn't apply to the SATA HD.

I'm glad your problem is solved but your post confuses me. :confused:

By the way, I'm also using a WD 250GB SATA HD but as my sole HD.

BIOS only supports IDE controllers not SATA, that's why it's not showing up in BIOS. Maybe your DVD or CD drivers were somehow interfering with SATA drivers. Still weird lol. So you plugged them back in and your HD works fine now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back