SATA Install Problem Sil3512

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuzZah

I'm trying to install my SATA Maxtor hard drive, using the windows XP setup disks and the f6 method to install 3rd party drivers. The silicon image drivers I install produce an error following disk 6 of the setup I recieve an error saying the drivers are incorrect.

I've tried putting the SATA drivers from the CD i recieved with my motherboard onto a floppy disk but the xp setup disk claims they are corrupt upon installing them.

Also, I've found the sil3512 drivers on the internet, but they are too large for a 1.4 meg floppy disk and therefore I cannot install them.

Any suggestions, and/or solutions are appreciated.

Thanks

PuzZah

The drivers are very small for all SCSI / RAID devices I've seen. And I've worked with a very simliar model to your sil352... The drivers are usually about 200kb

The file you download includes a lot of other junk though, so you need to take the contents of the driver folder for XP and copy them to the floppy, rather than the whole zip file.

included in the download found here there is two sets of drivers. These seem identical to those found on the CD provided with my motherboard. When I tried to use the drivers from the CD via a floppy disk, it said they were corrupt.

I will try the ones from the gigabyte site too, but in the meantime, any other suggestions?

Thanks again,
PuzZah

I think I've had problems with your SATA RAID controller before. I can't remember the number exactly, but I'm very sure that's the one.

It also told me the drivers were corrupted, but they were infact, fine.

I downloaded the beta drivers from Silicon Image's website and Windows XP finally accepted them.

The regular drivers from the CD, from the original floppy and from the website did not work for me. Only the beta drivers found on SI's website.

Hey, Any chance you could direct me towards some drivers on the SI site, as I've only found a page labelled 3x12 drivers which contains the 3112 drivers which doesn't make sense. Whether or not that's supposed to be or not I am unsure.

Thanks for the feedback

Progress, but not

Well, I've made some slight progress, however i'm no further forward. I've tried 3 IDE hard drives as well as the SATA now, and all three give the same error. It still says something along the lines of:

Your plug and play device has caused errors and has been shut down to prevent damage to windows. This is most likely caused by a faulty device driver.

I have no clue what could be causing this. Ive taken all the PCI devices out and tried different CD and Floppy drives too.

Help please :grinthumb

Ben

I'm in the middle of using the Maxblast 4 to install my Sil3512, it appears to be working. I chose to copy the original boot drive image to it, so it's taking time - but I'll happily report on the progress thereof later when it's finished.

I too have spent all day with this damned card, and am not impressed.

It's about to finish.

Blue screen of death, but it did show the windows initial XP screen - the one with the bar moving slowly across for a second or two - that is encouraging.

I think I can install an operating system to this now, I'll let you know.

i can't get my system boot from my hdd that attached to this card.

my motherboard is asus p4s8-x and i don't have any ide hdd attached to my mother board.

anyway to make it boot from this card?
any secret keys?

So did you install the SATA/RAID drivers for this motherboard? Is the hard drive set as a boot device in the BIOS? Is Windows installed on this drive?

mailpup said:
So did you install the SATA/RAID drivers for this motherboard? Is the hard drive set as a boot device in the BIOS? Is Windows installed on this drive?
There is no option at motherboard bios to boot from pci device.

I'm using an add in PCI card.
when i'm turn on the pc without HDD(ATA) attached to motherboard it always give error. and want me to insert the master disk or something. so i cant install any OS.

PCI card? I think you should have started a new thread since this is a much different subject than the original thread.

Just curious, your motherboard already has two SATA controllers, correct? Why not connect to one of them?

That said, does your BIOS allow booting from "other devices," not PCI specifically, but just other devices?

mailpup said:
PCI card? I think you should have started a new thread since this is a much different subject than the original thread.

Just curious, your motherboard already has two SATA controllers, correct? Why not connect to one of them?

That said, does your BIOS allow booting from "other devices," not PCI specifically, but just other devices?
my motherboard didn't have any sata controllers.
yeah at bios i have option to boot from other device.
and the option is
1. SCSI boot device
2. INT18 Device (network)

what option i need to choose?

That's odd. I looked up the Asus p4s8x and it describes and shows two SATA controllers. Is the Asus model number correct? Here is one review I looked up and it shows the SATA controllers. Is this the same as your mobo? Click here.

Try SCSI boot device. Are the drivers for the PCI card already installed?

mailpup said:
That's odd. I looked up the Asus p4s8x and it describes and shows two SATA controllers. Is the Asus model number correct? Here is one review I looked up and it shows the SATA controllers. Is this the same as your mobo? Click here.

Try SCSI boot device. Are the drivers for the PCI card already installed?
yeah my bad:p it was p4s8x-x.

i have tried SCSI boot device but it says NTLDR missing.
i have installed the driver for this card at OS(Windows)

Hello

I have the same problem:
P4S8X motherboard, a version without SATA support.
An IDE HDD.

Now I added Sil 3114 SATA RAID controller and a WD Raptor HDD.

I want to install Windows XP Professional on this SATA drive, and boot from it.

Problem is, the motherboard's BIOS does not seem to have the right option for it, as 'SCSI' does not work.

Is there a way to make it all work together?

regards

I solved it!

I had to download the newest BIOS for the card 3114 and a proper driver for the bios. Bios upload either from DOS (better) or from another instance of Windows (usually works too)
I am not using RAID so I chose basic ones. In P4s8X motherboard's bios I chose 'SCSI' as the first device to boot from.

haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back