SATA n00b :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

james_k1988

ive never worked with a SATA hard drive before but am about to buy lots of new equipment an want to go with whats best. Jus want to know basically if sats hard drives are that much better as they seem a hassle. Are they so superiour to IDE drives? Cause the impression im getting off some site here is that there the best thing since toilet roll lol Althogh i see alot of posts on here about it crashing during games.

Incase it helps this is the system it might be going on 2 if ifind out its that much better

MSI RS480M2-IL ATI XPRESS 200 Micro ATX (Socket 939) PCI-ExPress
(here pic an specs on newegg - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813130485R )

HIS Excalibur ATI Radeon X800 ICEQII TURBO 256MB GDDR3 TV-Out/DVI (PCI-Express) (basically jus a x800 with a coolin system on it lol)

AMD 64 3200+ (939 of course to go with the board)

i saw lots of stuff on other sites but i trust these forums more than ne others so i though id post it up :angel:

p.s. soz for spelling mistakes

just go for SATA hard disks, they have the faster access times and higher burst rates than EIDE, except to Western Digital Raptor :eek:

Lucan

yea but can a sata hard disk run along with a ide hard disk? cause im gonna hav a 80g IDE hard drive in it as well.dont they ahve problems running together?

well id prefer to go with ide for now since i dont know my way around SATA. But now that u menton it, i may go for this if u recommend it lol

Western Digital Caviar Special Edition 160GB 1600JB ATA-100 8MB Cache - OEM

an its cheaper than the sata drive lol

SATA drives don't have any jumpers to set, they can run in RAID and they use a very small cable that helps declutter your case. Each drive has its own channel so it isn't sharing with another drive and they are hot switchable.

The only "hassle" to SATA is you have to load the drivers, for most systems, when installing XP, via a floppy disk. It is fairly simple, you use your mobo CD to make the driver disk, insert it and when windows asks if you have a third party driver to load you hit F6. Hassle over, drive is up and running.

Many mobos don't require a secondary driver unless you want to run RAID. ALso, there is no problem running a IDE drive alongside a SATA drive as they use completely different controllers.

jarvis said:
SATA and Hassle cannot be used in the same sentence.

correct you are SATA is the best. have a problem or want to upgrade open the case take out the two plugs pull the drive out pop the other one in and then put the two plugs back in booom your done.

They are extremely quiet (SATA Western Digital and Seagate, steer away from MAXTOR/maxtar they fail to soon no matter what type of drive it is SATA, ATA, IDE, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back