SATA PCI Controller problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all sorry if i'm thick, i'm not exactly "in the know" when it comes to more techinical computer problems....... I have recently bought a 300g sata hd and a sata controller card. I am trying to set this up using windows xp on my original hd as it won't recognise the new hardware at all in bios. When windows loads up it recognises the new hardware (SATA card) and installs the drivers but will not recognise the new hd. There is a "Silicon Image SATA Controllers" icon in my control panel but when I click onto that there are no available controllers. I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling the drivers but the problem persists. I have dl a flash update for the bios but as it wont recognise the card this is useless at the moment..... Anyone with half a clue please let me know.........

Many thanks in advance

What you need to do is click on your start button, then click on the run, and type diskmgmt.msc. Then locate your new hard drive and right click on it and partition it then right click on it again and format it.
Once that is done it should show up in Windows and work perfectly well.

Nope tried that, the hard disk can't be found by the PC in bios and in windows. It doesn't even recognise the sata card after installing the drivers.

In that case have a look in device manager to see what that says about your controller card. If it shows a yellow triangle then the problem may well be the driver may be incorrect. It may be worth going to the card manufacturers website to see if they have any updated drivers more useful information that may help.

NO everything is ok in device manager, re installed drivers and updated drivers from CD-ROM and everything seems to be ok, just wont recognise card for some reason will try and get updated ones. its a SIL3512.... if thats any use

If you have installed the drivers for it several times then you could have a multiple device driver problem.
Boot into safe mode by pressing F8 just before Windows begins loading then select safe mode from the menu. Once it has booted go into device manager and delete all the drivers for your new card then reboot into normal mode and see what happens.

Nope no good either, tried going into safe mode, uninstalled the drivers for it, started again in safe mode and problem still persists recognises sata controller drivers seem to be ok but still won't recognise driver..... Looks like am fighting a losing battle.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back