Sata to ide adapter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok here's the deal. I have built my own computer. It's not great, but it does everything I need it to. The only problem I have with it is it only has one ide slot. It has four sata slots open, but none of my stuff has sata plugins. They all have ide. Is there an adapter out there that will convert the sata slots on my motherboard into ide slots? If so what is a good one to use.

I think a good solution would be to get a PCI card with IDE controllers. Of course, you need a free PCI slot but the card should have two controllers (connectors) that will handle two IDE devices each.

Click here to see an example of such a card. Mind you, I'm not endorsing this exact card since I don't have one. However, it's to show what I'm talking about.

You're just full of good news, aren't you? :) Okay, well I would argue that your PC doesn't quite do everything you need it to.

BTW, what motherboard do you have anyway?

there are PATA to SATA adapters but they cost about $30 each and you will need one for each IDE devive that you want to connect.

out of curiosity, why did you buy a mobo with mainly all SATA interfaces when all your devices are all PATA??

... I couldn't fill up all my PCI slots even if I tried (and I only have 3), what PCI cards do you have installed?

Sry I'm just being a prik, but you just built this thing and you didn't realize you bought a mobo that isn't going to work for you? Maybe you could return it and get something more suitable to your needs.
Else your only option is King's idea, SATA to IDE board. Much cheaper to return your mobo I would think.

Cheers.

For the first reply my computer does do everything I need it to do, but it is easier to have two disk drives than just one. My motherboard is an albatron px915p4c pro. I bought it so I could use my old socket 478 and still be able to have pci-e x16 so I could get the video card I wanted. For the second reply, it is very easy to fill up three pci slots. I have my modem, my sound card, and extra usb ports. Technically if I had to I could pull out the card for the usb ports, but that would make it really hard to use all my things because I would have to keep unplugging and plugging back in things. If I could have found a pci-e x1 to ide I would have bought it, but I couldn't find one. So, in the end, that leaves me trying to find and adapter for sata to ide.

One solution could be to get a PCI-E x1 to USB card which would free up the PCI slot used by your PCI to USB card. That card can be bought at Newegg, among others. Then you could get the PCI to IDE card and then you can connect all your devices.

Not necessarily the cheapest way to go so you might want to buy the adapters instead, but it is an alternative that would work.

arex312 said:
For the first reply my computer does do everything I need it to do
but it doesn't... if it did then you wouldn't be here trying to find ways to make it do what you need it to ;)

your mobo has 2 USB headers which will let you add another 4 USB slots, most mobos come with a USB expansion plate like this one to utilize these extra slots. did your mobo come with 1 of these plates? if not you can buy them for only a few dollars (or if you have a local computer shop nearby they often have them lying around and will just give you them free to get rid of them)

P.S. modems? people still use those things??? lol just kidding :D

You know the best idea all around is to get rid of the dial-up and get high speed.

You woun't have to wait to dial, it won't take 100 years to load a page with a 2X4 pic on it.

dl everything how you're suppose to etc then you could free up the pci, have high speed for almost the same price, and you're all around experince will go through the celling, through the atmosphere and into the the farthest black hole.

lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back