SATA vs EIDE Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've bought a new SATA HDD from Maxtor, and I'm trying to access my old one, which is and IDE WD drive. I'm just trying to get my files off the older HDD, but I'm having difficulties for some time now.

The SATA boots just fine, but when I connect the IDE drive, it always boots my old windows installation, no matter what I change in the BIOS. How do I boot from my NEW drive and not my old one? Please help!

Windows defaults to IDE. You cannot change it. This is why I tell people not to mix IDE with SATA in their system. You will have to physically remove the IDE offline and use it as an external drive to retrieve files, OR temporily remove your SATA drive, move your IDE files then format it, then replug your SATA drive.

Windows looks to IDE for booting as a default. If it finds an OS, it stops there.

Actually Tedster, I'm booting off an sata drive on my asus k8n-e deluxe. I run 2 sata drives on this motherboard, and also 2 hds and 2 optical drives (yes that many). It runs fine, windows installed fine. I don't think its an issue on how "windows" detects your hardware, its more of how your BIOS is set up.

you can cheat with the boot.ini file add or switch the boot order
to the other drive
it works I did numerous times
I have yet to understand the new SATA boot instructions on my dev board
some day soon I wil try to fig it out
I don't about defaulting ,but there seems to be a magic order to bios boot progression
my machine shows 6 diff ways to boot with or without the ide in the mix
and 2 diff boot screens
a long talk with MB manuf should get it figured out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back