SATA2 Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!

i built a new computer, and now im gonna install an OS on the SATA2 drive.
Problem is: it wont work. When i try to install XP i get a bluescreen right before the hdd-managing part (tried both 32bit and 64bit). When i try to install Vista, it gets stuck on "expanding files" (or similar).
My hdd shows in BIOS and is correctly connected as Master.
In the Vista install, i can see that the installation has put files on it, and i can explore it like any working hdd. When i try to use drivers for the SATA controller, it still gets stuck at the same place. Have tried lots of things in my BIOS. Help me! im desperate!:confused:

Specs:

Asus P5LD2-VM DH/C i945G 4DDR2-DIMM 2PCI 2PCIe SATA Raid Audio VGA GB-LAN Socket775 mATX

Western Digital Caviar WD1600JS 160GB 7200rpm 8MB SATA2

Intel Pentium D Dual Core 945 3.4GHz 2x2Mb 800MHz Boxed, Socket775

Gigabyte GeForce 7600GS SilentPipe 512MB DDR2 HDTV-out DVI SLI-ready RETAIL PCI Express

GoodRam Hi-Performance Platinum 1024MB DDR2 PC2-5300 667MHz CL5

Please test your system RAM and the hard drive(s) before any OS installation to avoid frustrating troubleshooting of (near-random) errors.

RAM: GoodRam Hi-Performance Platinum 1024MB DDR2 PC2-5300 667MHz CL5.

Only have 1 harddrive (see specs)

edit: sry, misread..

anyways, i dont know id its my hdd, thats what im trying to find out. The RAM is good.

Are you sure you're not just being impatient?

Those two spots you mention are lag spots in normal Windows installations.

foozy said:
Are you sure you're not just being impatient?

Those two spots you mention are lag spots in normal Windows installations.

i've tried it atleast 20 times with 3 diffrent Windows verisions... now im slowly getting impatient...

A single SATA. But i figured out that the harddrive is not the problem, it works on other computers, and i can explore it thru the Vista installation on my computer too. The costumer support i caled said that it probably the RAM...

"ram is good" .. did you test it with a program like memtest (linked below in my sig) or just thought it because your RAM are brand new etc? not to sound rude but can you specify how you came to that conclusion?

Take out all expansion cards, extra everything so you're left with CPU/Mobo, audio/visual (onboard where possible), 1 ram, 1 hdd, and 1 optical drive. Make sure everything is plugged in right and has power. Now try to install windows..

oh yeh, you do know that this forum runs on volunteers, and some only reply when they have time, so bumping a thread in less than 48 hrs is considered rude..

It might have been stupid to think that brand new RAM would be working and not the problem... since my computer counted it and showed it, i thought it was good... but after calling costumer support i got advised to send the RAM back in and get it exchanged. So i'll do that and hope for the best.

I tried the no-expansion card, with no result, same pretty bluescreen.

And im sorry for being a rude bastard if i was. I was kinda desperate... :stickout:

It might have been stupid to think that brand new RAM would be working and not the problem... since my computer counted it and showed it, i thought it was good... but after calling costumer support i got advised to send the RAM back in and get it exchanged. So i'll do that and hope for the best.
Yeh.. well thats why shops have the 7-days return/exchange/etc and manufacturers have their warranty and DOA policies..

And im sorry for being a rude bastard if i was. I was kinda desperate...
All is forgiven :D

Have you tried different SATA/RAID drivers for your F6 floppy diskette?

Try older versions, try newest ones and even try beta ones (if available). Make sure you are getting the right version (64-bit for x64 XP, 32-bit for Windows XP Home/Pro...)

Diable AHCI or 'enhanced SATA' in your BIOS if it is enabled. Enable IDE emulation or other SATA compatibility modes if available in the BIOS. Disable SATA II (3Gbps / 300) and enable SATA I (1.5Gbps / 150) if the option exists in your BIOS. The last option might be to update your BIOS with the latest version.

when i make these diskettes, i get a "txtsetup.oem" and "ITEATAPI" in the diskette, with diffrent WIN (WINXP, WIN64, etc) as subfolders. correct?

i tried the one that followed on a cd, and latest one. will check for more!

any more ideas to help me? =)

edit: the "enhanced SATA" is off be default, no change when i turn it on either. the SATA I mode os not availible.
and the error code i get is 0x0000007B.

my BIOS is latest availible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back