Say goodbye to VLC as Windows 8.1 gets native MKV support

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Xbox One received native Matroska Multimedia Container (MKV) file support earlier this year and now, Microsoft has extended support to its current operating system. As of writing, those running Windows 8.1 can play MKV files without having to download a third-party media player.

MKV files are often associated with pirated movies and television shows found on BitTorrent and other popular file-sharing platforms. Windows’ lack of native support for MVK has led to the popularity of standalone media players like VLC but that could soon change.

By baking support right into Windows, Microsoft is also giving the open standard container a much-needed boost of legitimacy. And while some may argue that support has arrived a bit late with Windows 10 looming on the horizon, it's better late than never in my book.

Speaking of, Windows 10 will also carry native MKV support in addition to support for Free Lossless Audio Codec (FLAC) files. FLAC is a lossless audio compression format that provides much higher audio quality compared to lossy formats like MP3. Despite being around since 2001, it still hasn’t really taken off even with the advent of high-quality streaming sources and dedicated FLAC audio players.

As for MKV support in Windows 8.1, it’s worth pointing out that it’s still limited by the operating system’s codec and subtitle support. I haven’t tried it out yet but if it’s just terrible, I suppose VLC is always an option.

Permalink to story.

I must admit I have not used VLC much. as since the beginning of time CCCP with MPC has been around, and VLC never needed. The only reason I tried VLC was because it seemed it had an easy way to prevent playing YoYo with the volume.
But I would not use Windows Media Player to play any video file ever. Just a big no no.

Personally I do not like VLC much as it gave me a lot of issues with stuttering in videos depending on the file types or just random things occurring (Like freezing). This was not a constant problem of course but was just things that would happen enough I decided I was done using it. I personally love using MPC as its a great software in general and worked for any videos I want to watch no matter what I threw at it. Never had an issue with it which is why I stuck with it.

I am glad Microsoft is adding that in the basic support because it was save tiem of always having to have a copy of MPC downloaded and installed if I want to watch an MKV file since I watch a ton of videos that are that file type. Mostly though I will probably still use MPC in the end but its great to have it.

I dunno why people are obsessed with installing Klite Codec pack. Installing huge amounts of codecs is not clever. The CCCP one was needed for MKV, as far as I know klite at the time didnt have it covered. But then FFDshow (phat version I guess), possibly the AC3 codec.

I have never needed anything else. I always think people who install Klite when they have no idea wtf they are doing. Its like the go to fix for numptys

While it's great that Windows has/will have native support for MKV and FLAC, I'm waiting for these features on Windows Phone, where these are more needed than on Windows.

On the desktop side: VLC, pff. Media Player Classic is where it's at. Those shaders man .. paradise.

I've always used GOM player, since I had an old netbook (The first gen from HP even before the Asus EEE) that couldn't play mkv movies without stuttering and not even VLC could handle them, thanks to the 700 mhz proc.

From then on, I've kept GOM just for the keyboard shortcuts and the highly customizable options from video, sounds and subtitles it has.

I dunno why people are obsessed with installing Klite Codec pack.
And by that very same thought so would installing VLC. I'd rather install an entire pack than find out later I don't have the codec needed for the video I want to watch. As far as bloat, at least it is bloat I choose to have installed, not bloat that MS has chosen for me.

I would still download VLC, if only because I can rotate videos that I transfer from my phone but the other players don't render in the correct upright position.

But I would not use Windows Media Player to play any video file ever. Just a big no no.
Why? WMP is basically all I use, and its never let me down. Install CCCP for extra codec support and its good to go. It covers all the features most people would want without being too cluttered and now that MKV support is coming baked in, even better. People are running out of things to complain about concerning Microsoft, but its now becoming a case of Microsoft being damed if they do, and damed if they don't. So what in your most humble opinion should they do, because while being a little late to the party, at least they are listening and as always, rather late than never wouldn't you say? I just feel that your comment makes no sense and that there is nothing wrong with WMP as it does what it says on the label.

Why? WMP is basically all I use, and its never let me down. Install CCCP for extra codec support and its good to go. It covers all the features most people would want without being too cluttered and now that MKV support is coming baked in, even better. People are running out of things to complain about concerning Microsoft, but its now becoming a case of Microsoft being damed if they do, and damed if they don't. So what in your most humble opinion should they do, because while being a little late to the party, at least they are listening and as always, rather late than never wouldn't you say? I just feel that your comment makes no sense and that there is nothing wrong with WMP as it does what it says on the label.
Maybe its a lot better in Windows 8(.1), but in Windows 7 WMP is still pretty terrible. Windows XP destroyed WMP at version 7. Which is the entire reason Media Player Classic came to exist, because it brought back the look and feel of WMP 6 and prior. VLC has a lot under the hood and still has a streamlined GUI.

Maybe in the Metro Interface having native FLAC and MKV support is nice, but I don't see how this suddenly makes VLC or MPC irrelevant - they are still the preferred option for a majority of people that know something other than WMP exists.

"I dunno why people are obsessed with installing Klite Codec pack. Installing huge amounts of codecs is not clever."

Just to inform you, K-Lite has 4 variants, starting from a "must need survival kit" for basic playback pack up to the codec-avalanche mega pack.

Vlc is not turnkey. The player I had to play encrypted blu ray was like two hundred dollars full price and then it expired. How many movies could you go see for two hundred dollars? Other players are not 1080p. Nice to rip them to mkv and then someone with less technical expertice could easily play them.

Never use vlc as I always used k-lite codecs and win media player. I do video ripping and transcoding for my wd media player, though I do also watch an odd movie through my pc which is also connected to the tv.
Full blown Htpc with kodi (xbmc) is in the works just as soon as I can decide which case I want for it. The rest of the parts I have already.

Back