SB Live drivers enabled but not started... Windows XP

vomacka

okay I'm getting this message when I click properties for my sound card. The driver is the correct driver and everything in the Device Manager looks fine. Now if I go into Control Panel, Sound and Audio Devices it says "No Audio Device", everything in the tabs is grayed out. But in Device Manager, I see that the driver is there.

Please don't tell me that I don't have the right drivers because I have the latest WDM drives for the sound cards I tried. My guess is its a registry or driver problem that got corrupted somehow. A lot of people have been having this problem, as I have been searching over the internet.

Yes, I have the on-board sound disabled. I still got no sound even when it was on.
I KNOW the sound card works because I can play music using Creative Play Center player.

The only sounds that don't play are the windows start-up/close default sounds under program events. Sound and audio properties says "No audio device". The drivers for the card are there, but not being seen/used by windows XP. The only thing that it says in Audi/Sound playback/Default device is "No playback device".

Any ideas?

Scott

What is the exact model of the sound card... There are many versions of the SB live. The Windows sound driver is not being recognized

Problem solved

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!! :grinthumb

OK. I found what the problem was. Here is how I fixed it:

I had everything ok in Device Manager and every driver was running that should, but the symptom was that there was no sound coming out from the sound card. Everything was OK in the Device Manager, but in the Sounds and Audio Devices Control Panel there was only the Voice recording option on the Voice tab, and the MIDI music playback (without the sound card being in the list) on the Audio tab active. The others like Voice playback, Sound playback, Sound recording and everything on the Volume tab was grayed out.

The steps I took:

1. Create the restore point. *IMPORTANT*

2. On the System Properties panel, Advanced tab, Environment Variables button, under the User variables click New and create a variable named devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices with the value of 1.

3. Open the Device Manager and select Show hidden devices from the View menu.

4. Under the Sound, video and game controllers group, find your sound card(s) and
disable it/them (don’t need to uninstall).

5. Then uninstall the following devices: (These devices were grayed out in the list as non-present and not working)
- Microsoft Kernel Audio Splitter
- Microsoft Kernel System Audio Device
- Microsoft Kernel Wave Audio Mixer
- Microsoft WINMM WDM Audio Compatibility Driver

6. Select Scan for hardware changes from the Action menu. Now the system should re-detect and reinstall the deleted devices automatically. You may get non signed driver warnings, click continue.

7. Enable the devices you disabled in step 4. You may need to restart the computer.

The problem should be disappeared, you should be able to play sounds.

What a relief to have my sound back. Those four Kernal/WINMM WDM drivers above were the problem. They, somehow, where not working. Don't know how it happened.

Scott
------------------------------
Windows XP SP3
Motherboard: ASUS M3A AMD AM2 Quad core CPU support
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000 Dual Core
PSU: Ernamax 500w

Back