SB Live Vs Audigy

Status
Not open for further replies.

bretty

Would I notice the difference if I went out and bought a Audigy OEM?

My PC is mainly used for 3D games, (MOHAA and the like) and DVD watching.
Thats all. Will I be able to take advantage of the 24/96 stuff?

Is the 24/96 stuff you are talking about 24bit /96KHz? If i not mistaken, your DDT 2200 doesn't support it. Personally i don't think there's a great deal about the 24/96 stuff, not much special.

What do you mean they dont support it? They are just speakers dude.

They are analoge, I know, although they output what ever sound I tell them too. Wether it be 2Hz or 96Hz

I dont understand how speakers cannot be compatible with sound quality

Originally posted by bretty
What do you mean they dont support it? They are just speakers dude.

For a speaker to support 24bit/96KHz means it is able to deliver that quality.

Up to this date, the only pc speaker i know that can support and take advantage of 24bit/96KHz sound is the 5.1 Inspire Digital 5700.

Speakers can't produce 2Hz, 2Hz beyond human's hearing range (20Hz to 20,000Hz).

SBlive Vs Audigy

The Audigy produces 24 bit sound in playback only. Recording is still 16 bit. 24 bit does sound better, believe me.

But you need to get rid of those crappy speakers and do what I do, that is, if you're at least halfway serious about sound quality. My soundcard (SBLIVE Platinum 5.1 with the Livedrive) is plugged into a Beringer Eurorack MX 1604A 8 channel mixing board, which is plugged into a Pioneer VSX-D307 Dolby Pro Logic receiver (100 Watts Dolby Surround). Front speakers are JBL Studio reference speakers, while the center and rear belong to Sony. I topped it off with a DCM 100 watt 12" Subwoofer. Not too high tech, but wow! Will it knock your socks off, especially when the subwoofer kicks in.

I dont' own one, so I can't preach to you about the difference in audio, but I know in benchmarks the audigy makes a world of difference in CPU usage for 16 waves and over.

While not many games take usage of so many sounds at once right now, future ones will and the CPU usage of a reasonable setup can jump pretty dramatically with the live.

If you've got the money to burn, then more power to you. I just thought I'd mention this, since sound quality isn't 100% of the argument, necessarily.

If you want 24bit/96,000khz recording, you'll have to get a studio audio card, which may run a couple hundred to a couple of thousand dollars depending on your taste.

Most 24bit/96,000khz is reserved for professional grade audio equipment - Most home users aren't that discerning.

Personally, even though I'm very sensitive to what sounds good and what doesn't, my Live sounds good enough for anything I'll use it for.

Neither the Audigy nor Extigy do true 24/96, but as gaming is your main thing (or important anyway) an Audigy would do you better.

Have this in the Extigy review, applies same way though;
"Make no mistake though, the Extigy, just like the Audigy, is not a true 24/96 Soundcard & playback wise, such high fidelity sources can be re-sampled to 16-Bit/48kHz (Though the 48kHz output can be adjusted using the Audio Control applet for S/PDIF output), though seemingly using the higher quality DAC still allows for a better quality sound than had Creative gone with 16-Bit/48kHz DAC/ADCs in the first place. Optical output can be at 96 kHz, alas with no devices with an Optical connection I can’t test that out too much."

Originally posted by TS | Thomas
Neither the Audigy nor Extigy do true 24/96, but as gaming is your main thing (or important anyway) an Audigy would do you better.

Thomas is right.

Tom's Hardware Review -
Creative Labs Extigy:
External Sound!

In fact, ever since Creative Labs first rolled out the Audigy, they have been making claims about their communications card, which is questionable, to say the least. First of all, they claim that it is capable of 24-bit sound sampling at 96 kHz. The 24-bit logo appears all over the place - on the box, on the installation CD, even on the product itself. Yet it has been confirmed, even by Creative Labs' own technicians, that neither the Audigy nor the Extigy are capable of recording or playing 24-bit sound at 96 kHz.

http://www.tomshardware.com/video/02q2/020405/extigy-01.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back