Scanadu Scout 'medical tricorder' brings in $1.66 million in crowdfunding campaign

By Jesse
Jul 23, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. The health startup Scanadu just finished their Indiegogo campaign, bringing in $1.66 million in orders for the Scanadu Scout from backers around the world. That makes it the most successful campaign to date on the crowdfunding site.

Read more
  2. They should be sold at 2X to cover possible lawsuits of "wrongful" readings, unless that is all ready factored in
  3. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,528   +831

I find it hard to believe that something placed on your forehead can accurately read your heartbeat.
    But hey, ive been wrong ALOT before.
  4. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Evangelist Posts: 1,292   +55

With the treadmills at the ymca you just put your hands on the handlebars and they measure your heartbeat.
  5. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,964   +355

In hospitals they just put a light clamp on your fingertip to measure your heartbeat.
  6. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,101   +95

Scanadu, apply directly to the forehead. Scanadu, apply directly to the forehead. Scanadu, apply direc... oh nevermind.
  7. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,729   +1,093

I'm don't think we should call it a tricorder if it can measure 7 things. According to wikipedia a tricorder was called 'tri' because it had 3 functions; measure, analyze and record. This only does the measuring. I don't think Spock would approve.
  8. Algorath

Algorath TS Rookie

Tricorder = Triage recoder. :)
  9. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,341   +1,939

Everybody seems to be jumping on the "Crowdfunding" bandwagon. Where do I sign up?
  10. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,114   +1,377

It still cannot do blood analysis for chemicals and vitamins - perhaps the most important check one needs for health monitoring. If it could do that also, I would be happy to pay $500 for it.