Scanned images are too large

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arada

I had to re install the scanner(Acer 640U) and now the images are too large and I can't print them out or store them. The disk fills up too fast. What can I do> I have diddled with every adjustment I can find. Thanks,...Arada:mad:

:wave: Hello & Welcome to TechSpot :wave:

What format are you saving your images in?
If you save them in .bmp they will take up a lot of unneeded space compared to .png or .jpg
.jpg is the most common of the two, but has worse quality compared to png. (You can compensate, but it will take up more space)

But if you save to either of those formats, you shouldn't have a problem with diskspace.

As for not being able to print them, have you tried to resize them in a photo-editing program? There is a link on the frontpage to PhotoShop 9 download, which is a very good program (though probably more advanced than you need)...
It will also have a print preview option which'll allow you to see how the image will look when printed (a nice thing to know, as it'll affect how much you have to resize the image)...

Hope this helps, and if not, post back :)

Mr. Garibaldi...Thank you for the reply...now to prove how stupid I really am...where can I find the .png or .jpg selections? Nancy

If you put your pictures into your photo editor click on file save as give them a file name then there should be a dialogue box which will let you choose which format you want to save them as I.E bmp. jpeg. png etc. Rgards Howard:grinthumb

There are two ways to do it

1. do as howards says and first scan the image, then change the type and delete the original, or
2. tell us what scanning program you are using, and we'll (I'll) try to find out where the option is...

Mr. Garibaldi and Howard...Thank you for your responses. I supppose I should tell you how all this came about so we are all on the same page.
I had to format and get rid of the garbage. I had Windows98SE in there. When I reinstalled windows I only had the original Windows98. Took it to the shop to have it upgraded. Fine.
Couldn't re install my ACER Ulead scanner pr ogram cause I don't have the Windows98SE disk!!! So I got a crappy download from free downloads. Works OK but size sucks. One image alone is 6,415,974 bytes...Ouch! No wonder the disk space is shot.
Using an acer 640U scanner...never had a problem with the original program. What else can I tell you?

Arada

Oki, will try to find a place for you to download your "old" scanner program... Oh, and you wouldn't happen to remember exactly what is was called (and what version number)?

But if that proves impossible, can you tell me exactly what "crappy download" you are using?
(Help -> about usually gives the name of the program along with version number)

Mr. Garibaldi...(It is in BMP by the way).
Spec. Scanner...Acer ScanPrisa 640U flat bed scanner.
Crappy download is: 640U Mira U.
Mirascan 4.030
STIASP.1 800
Max resolution:19200X19200
Max scan:216mmX287mm
OK..That's it! Thanks...Arada

All I have found so far is mirascanv403u10.exe which one person says is what originally came with the scanner (at least that's the version that's on his cd)...

Unfortunately I can't get it to start (as I don't have a scanner) so I can not make sure it's not the one you have (the numbers do seem to match, but it could be a different version)...

But I have found one way for you to save the images as .jpg instead of .bmp.
Use ScanButton 3.0 (which if you don't have comes with the version above).
Choose scan to file (the rightmost icon the on ScanButton toolbad), and when you select where to save the image click where it says "Bitmap files (*.bmp)" and instead choose "JPEG (*.jpg)".

That should at least save you a lot of space...
If that wasn't too clear, there are images which explain it if you start ScanButton 3.0 and right-click on the top of it (opens a menu) then choose "Help". When the Help funcitons opens up, click on "Get Start" and "Scan to File".

Hope this helps you a bit, since it's all I've been able to find so far...

MrGaribaldi...I have started the new download..it will take 3 hours and 47 minutes!!! (Dial-up) I will let you know how it goes...Thank you again (maybe), ;o)

Mr. Garibaldi...I downloaded the scanner program and it is the same as I had just downloaded. I changed the settings as you suggested and the images are still coming out at 6,300,000. My disc space is 1 GB.I have only a few items in there and now can not file anything else. I give up...Arada
Thank you for your effort.

You're welcome.
I'm just sorry we couldn't fix your problem (and that I had you download the program you already had no dial-up!)...

I believe Win98 already has Imaging, which has basic image acquiring support. You should be able to choose the resolution you want to scan (dots per inch), lower setting will naturally take less space.

Thank you to Mr. Garibaldi, Howard and Mictlantecuhtli...
The scanner problem is solved! I am happily producing correct sized copies. Thanks again for the input...Arada

jpg file-help needed..

Hello,

I recently bought a benq scanner 4300U. I am undergoing the same difficulty as Arada has gone through. Please advice me as how to scan an image into a jpg file.

your reply will be a great help to me..

raj

The size of a scanned image depends mainly on three things. The biggest factors are DPI (dots per inch) and resolution. Once you have scanned the image then you can save it in JPG/BMP/etc format. This will depend on the software that you are using. I normally use Photoshop.

Keep in mind that BMP creates images much larger than JPG. The software you use to save the image also can make a huge difference in the file size. For example, Photoshop allows you to change the quality of a JPG from 1-10 (including other options that change the image quality).

Normally you want to scan at around 300-1200dpi. Depending on what you will be using the image for.

scanbutton and xp

hi all, i am new to this thread but also have a problem with scanbutton under xp pro. worked fine with w98se but now when trying to scan to fax i receive message, no driver.
does anyone know of an update for xp to fix this? my scanner is an acerscan320u. driverguide lists one for 320u for xp but it did not fix my problem.

thanks
robert-s

Welcome to TechSpot, robert-s

If you have all the necessary drivers installed, make also sure "Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)" service is running. (Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services)

Thanks Mictlantecuhtli:
my WIA is set to automatic and running. I just downloaded and installed a new driver from benq and now when i click on scan to fax, instead of no driver, i get no fax driver installed. I do not have a fax machine but was able ti fax via modem with W98SE. Indeed I could do this in Word from file, send to fax recepient but now it only sends doc. to my printer.
robert-s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back