Scanner Artifacts

Status
Not open for further replies.

JadeDragon

I have a Microtek i900 flatbed scanner. I am having difficulties with the quality of my scans. So far I have done the following in attempts to make a fix.
1. Cleaned the scanner and glass as per Microtek instructions.
Tested - no change
2. Checked lamps to be sure they were ok per Microtek
3. Downloaded every current file Microtek offers for the scanner and installed them.
Tested - no change
4. Used newest software to create a "profile" - This took several tries until I got it right.
Tested - no change.

Negatives and slides seem to be ok. They are placed in trays and inserted into the bottom of the scanner. The artifacts appear when photos are done from the top of the scanner on the glass surface. Paper items seem to scan fine, but I think it just might be because their light background obscures the artifacts.
The artifacts seem to be a fine light or silvery dust stuff. Heaviest at the top and bottom of the preview scan, when the scan is performed, it is everywhere. The lower the resolution I use, the less artifacts appear - but vintage photos need high resolution in order to perform the delicate editing which returns them to "like new" appearance. The more I scan, the greater the density of the artifacts. Attachment shows the effect. Sure would appreciate a solution. I have a l o t of scanning left to do.

Thanks
Jade Dragon

Without seeing the original I can't make a comparison, but that looks just like the brightness is turned up too much on the image. I really don't have any suggestion how to fix it if just altering the brightness in something like photoshop doesn't fix it. Perhaps this is a common problem and someone else will know, I've never had issues with scanners.

Thanks for your input, SNGX1275. The scan I attached is raw as it came from the scanner. Your suggestion is interesting and I will play with editing the brightness to correct the problem. JadeDragon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back