Scareware

By Bobbye
Dec 1, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scareware:

Rogue Scanners/Rogue Antivirus:

What is a Rogue Scanner?
    • Rogue scanners masquerade as antivirus, antispyware, or other security software, claiming the user's system is infected in order to trick them into paying for a full version.
    • Rogue scanners are often advertised as a free antivirus download or free online scan.
    • Rogue scanner typically displays false virus alerts, with instructions to buy the "full version" in order to remove the fictional infections.

Usual ways of delivery:
    • Email scams disguised as greeting cards or breaking news alerts;
    • Advertisements that offer a free scan or system tune-up;
    • Compromised websites retrofitted to exploit software vulnerabilities.

Symptom of a rogue scanner:
    • Unexpected virus alerts from a product you don't recall installing

Examples
    Method of Infection:
    • Exploit security vulnerabilities to forcibly install.
    • May attempt to trick users into installing a free security scan or system tune-up.
    • Email scams: breaking news alert

Just some highlights here- but any time you're not sure, don't!
  2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

3. B00kWyrm

B00kWyrm TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,550   +18

I wonder if this could / should be "pinned"
  4. Bobbye

Bobbye Helper on the Fringe Topic Starter Posts: 16,392   +34

Thanks for adding kimsland. My thought was to give a broad overview of 'scareware' in the hope that users will recognize what it is.

B00kWyrm, getting "pinned" is kind of a double-edged sword. I am finding that most of the users 'don't' see or read the pinned threads-but-it gives us a good reference to draw their attention to. Unfortunately though, the attention would likely be after the fact most of the time.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.