School network

Status
Not open for further replies.
I look after a school network of about 20 PCs win 98/ win 95 hooked up to a NT4 server on a domain

I inherited a setup supplied by a PC company that the school was not happy with.

All the PCs have a lock down setting within their profile and the logon script is straightforward except for a line that includes 2 .exe's runonce.exe and hidedrivec.exe with a filename between the two which looks like a folder name.
runonce.exe temp2 hidedrivec.exe 14

I've been racking my brains trying to find a way of logging on to the workstations locally but there is something running on the PCs that prevent me using the esc key at the logon screen. There are a couple of PCs that need repairing with new motherboards but in order to get them back onto the network I need to logon locally so that I can set up the network drivers etc. without reformatting the hard drive

It looks as if the pc supplier has crippled the local logon so as to make it impossible for the school to fix their own PCs

I rang up the pc supplier and they said it was too difficult to tell me how to logon locally.

Can anyone help please?

Boot from a floppy and format the hard drive. Then boot from your windows install cd and set the computer up with whatever it needs.

Thanks for your reply. I have changed my question because I didn't explain about the necessity to retain the software on the hard drive. To get all the curriculum software installed back off the server, without any help from the people who set it up, will be a problem. So I need to be able to change the motherboard or indeed clone the hard drive and then install the nic driver and then get back onto domain logon

Where are these .exe files located, within a batch file? xxx.bat ?
On a working PC, do a 'Find' specifying all files that contain the text runonce.exe and hidedrivec.exe

Try to temporarily rename those files and see what happens.

This example: runonce.exe temp2 hidedrivec.exe 14
makes no sense, can you give us the full info?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back