school-shooting in germany

chrissof

3 days ago there has been a shooting in a german school with several injured(students,teachers,and police coming to protect) overall it was 32 injured I think.
the shooting was done by a former student of that school.
now there is a scream going through germany:prohibit all "killer-games",as ego-shooters are called in germany.
it is true that the guy who did the shooting was into "killer-games" and also into guns(hard to get in germany....)
what is your opinion?have you experienced anything of that(sad)kind in your country?how do media react?how does the public react?

if this is not the kind of topic to dicuss in this forum....well,kick it out

Poeople naturally, in are way of "society", feal as if the blame someone or something, it brings closier to them. Not "concously " ( I don't really like these terms but it's something everyone can understand)but "subconcously ". One person finds something wrong or atlest "think" it's wrong from one's perspective and they go aqusing it. They have never experianced it and if it's anything out of one's (we won't go pointing fingers) perseption it's instantly wrong. There are many sernios I can bring up where this true, religon, poltics,soilism, etc, etc.

Futhermore I think it is ridiculuos accusing video-games to be the sorce of the problem.

chrissof said:
3 days ago there has been a shooting in a german school with several injured(students,teachers,and police coming to protect) overall it was 32 injured I think.
the shooting was done by a former student of that school.
now there is a scream going through germany:prohibit all "killer-games",as ego-shooters are called in germany.
it is true that the guy who did the shooting was into "killer-games" and also into guns(hard to get in germany....)
what is your opinion?have you experienced anything of that(sad)kind in your country?how do media react?how does the public react?

if this is not the kind of topic to dicuss in this forum....well,kick it out

I am into guns, somewhat and FPS games but that doesn't mean I am going to go on a rampage (usually the sorry *** parents of the murderer/shooter)

People who do stuff like that are weak minded or have alot of personal issues.
But then you have all the tree huggers who want to blame games and music on their problems.

I lived in Germany for 5 years and loved every minute of it. I feel much safer being in Germany then the United States.

The kids and the school system seem much safer and better overall, IMO.

smore9648 said:
I am into guns, somewhat and FPS games but that doesn't mean I am going to go on a rampage (usually the sorry *** parents of the murderer/shooter)

People who do stuff like that are weak minded or have alot of personal issues.
But then you have all the tree huggers who want to blame games and music on their problems.

I lived in Germany for 5 years and loved every minute of it. I feel much safer being in Germany then the United States.

The kids and the school system seem much safer and better overall, IMO.

Well smore9648, our school systems in the United States are sought after. We along with Britain have a lot (not all, not all) of the World's best Universities and Colleges (Yale, M.I.T, Harvard University, BU, BC, Brown, Stanford, etc.), so we're doing something right. Also, I think it depends on where you are about the safeness you feel (in general). I am sure that there are places in the United States where you would feel the same "safeness" as Germany as well as all countries in the world.

It's a legit question but you should really try to not stereotype people like that. First of all as cfitzarl said, i don't see any connection between treehuggers and video games. Second, both republicans and democrats (if thats what you were implying) passed the law to put the game rating system on games after the columbine shooting, because the kids that did it were big doom fans. So to say one political party is the reason for this is completely untrue.

This is my take on it.

I don`t think violent video games/movies are a threat to any normal person. However, I can see where it would be possible for someone who was mentally unstable to do such a thing because of the content of the said games/movies.

At the end of the day, who knows what triggers these nuts to do what they do?

To ban some video games/movies, based on what is an isolated incident in Germany, is in my opinion a gross overreaction.

Whilst I feel very sorry for those affected by tragedies like these, in the main, especially in Europe, these are very isolated incidents.

It does seem to be more prevalent in the US. Why that should be the case, I dont know, other than to say, maybe access to guns is easier in the US than it is here in the UK for example.

Whatever the reasons, it sure is a crying shame, that young kids are killed or injured in this way.

Regards Howard.

i think the main thing on this whole subject is when the person who's playing the game can't distinguish fantasy to reality.. once those lines are blurred they are officially addicted on it like a drug.

i like fps too, and play it on occasion, but i don't necessarily go out shooting people, nor play some sword based RPG then have the urge to start slashing people with a machete or a humongous blade (unless you're shooting a movie or in a cosplay, which you would be using harmless fakes anyways..). both not as readily available in australia.. maybe thats a good thing..

granted there are some games that are ok to play, and some others which are really bad for your mental health and should have a R rating on it or something..

most of the time i think its more about the person than the actual game being singled out.. like smore said, mindset of that person could have got problems etc at the time, which could contribute to irrational behavior.. and having easier access to weaponry just makes it more convenient for the person to act on the thought without thinking of it..

there should be ways available to educate people into how to enjoy games properly, and not go into a killing spree afterwards, but blaming things is easier and cost less.. and it is a shame on the loss of those kids and people so early in life..

howard_hopkinso said:
This is my take on it.

I don`t think violent video games/movies are a threat to any normal person. However, I can see where it would be possible for someone who was mentally unstable to do such a thing because of the content of the said games/movies.

At the end of the day, who knows what triggers these nuts to do what they do?

To ban some video games/movies, based on what is an isolated incident in Germany, is in my opinion a gross overreaction.

Whilst I feel very sorry for those affected by tragedies like these, in the main, especially in Europe, these are very isolated incidents.

It does seem to be more prevalent in the US. Why that should be the case, I dont know, other than to say, maybe access to guns is easier in the US than it is here in the UK for example.

Whatever the reasons, it sure is a crying shame, that young kids are killed or injured in this way.

Regards Howard.

I completely agree. A lot of these "nuts" also blame games for their wrongdoing. For example, there was a teenager who went on a killing spree and then blamed Grand Theft Auto. I think that there are only a very small amount of people (who should be carefully watched) who take video games personally and see them as an excuse to do the violent things that they do.

cfitzarl said:
Well smore9648, our school systems in the United States are sought after. We along with Britain have a lot (not all, not all) of the World's best Universities and Colleges (Yale, M.I.T, Harvard University, BU, BC, Brown, Stanford, etc.), so we're doing something right. Also, I think it depends on where you are about the safeness you feel (in general). I am sure that there are places in the United States where you would feel the same "safeness" as Germany as well as all countries in the world.

Germans allow all the young children to walk to school and back without parent guidance. That can not be said in too many places in the U.S.

smore9648 said:
Germans allow all the young children to walk to school and back without parent guidance. That can not be said in too many places in the U.S.
well actually parents in germany are asked to let their kids walk to school alone(or with all the friends who live in the same area)...and usually the kids like it that way

cfitzarl said:
. I think that there are only a very small amount of people (who should be carefully watched) who take video games personally and see them as an excuse to do the violent things that they do.
I do agree that there is only very few kids actually taking games into real life,
but you mention that they should be carefully watched...what could be the early warning signals,and who is responsible for seeing them?

howard_hopkinso said:
This is my take on it.

I can see where it would be possible for someone who was mentally unstable to do such a thing because of the content of the said games/movies.

Regards Howard.
but all teenagers are kind of mentally unstable -to a certain degree- I`m still trying to find the "switch",that makes them go out and do it...and all that (usually) after they planned it,made movies,posted in forums and so on

chrissof said:
but all teenagers are kind of mentally unstable -to a certain degree- I`m still trying to find the "switch",that makes them go out and do it...and all that (usually) after they planned it,made movies,posted in forums and so on

Actualy Chrissof, Im not unstable at all and im 15... I like computers and messing
& tweaking around with them too much to bother with going crazy, If I want to go crazy I'll launch Counterstrike and headshot some people :D

chrissof said:
but all teenagers are kind of mentally unstable -to a certain degree-

I wasn`t referring to normal teenage angst. I was referring to people who have a definite mental problem and can`t differentiate between games/movies and reality. Walking into a school or any other establishment with the intent to kill and injure is definitely not a normal teenage thing to want to do.

Regards Howard :)

chrissof said:
...but you mention that they should be carefully watched...what could be the early warning signals,and who is responsible for seeing them?
Parents/Teachers/Peers all have ability to catch the early warning signals, or late signals even. Problem if you let teachers do it is there will be 'profiling' and in lawsuit happy America that is just an invitation for some family to get rich without doing anything except having a lousy kid.

So if we want to try to do anything about it we'll have to get some judges with enough balls to kick lawsuits like that out.

It is also such a small percentage that its really a statistical anomaly that any kid goes on a rampage, is it really worth millions of taxpayer dollars to drop the percentage of kids that shoot others from 0.00012 to 0.00011? (I made those numbers up). What I'm saying is I am not sure you can stop it from happening if you tried, a dedicated kid will still find a way.

TimeParadoX said:
Actualy Chrissof, Im not unstable at all and im 15... I like computers and messing
& tweaking around with them too much to bother with going crazy, If I want to go crazy I'll launch Counterstrike and headshot some people :D
Hi TimeParadox,didn`t mean to be offensive,sorry for that.
it`s not necessarily a sick or bad kind of "unstable" I`m talking about,
but remembering myself as a teenager...there was a lot of ....don`t really know how to call it...stuff,or worries,concerns.....on my mind.
well anyways
I like to headshot pixel heads as well...but most of my time in single player or sometimes lan-style with some friends.
and not to forget "tweaking and messing" the hardware

howard_hopkinso said:
I wasn`t referring to normal teenage angst. I was referring to people who have a definite mental problem and can`t differentiate between games/movies and reality. Walking into a school or any other establishment with the intent to kill and injure is definitely not a normal teenage thing to want to do.

Regards Howard :)
Hi Howard. all these kids where once "normal kids",maybe at the age of ten or twelve?don`t know,but when does normal turn to killingspree?
there is probably not a psychologist around in this forum,and I don`t know whether I would like his / her answer...all their knowledge won`t help in these cases ...I think,as it is a society-concern,meaning (in a way) all of us
or am I too blue-eyed?

SNGX1275 said:
Parents/Teachers/Peers all have ability to catch the early warning signals, or late signals even. Problem if you let teachers do it is there will be 'profiling' and in lawsuit happy America that is just an invitation for some family to get rich without doing anything except having a lousy kid.

So if we want to try to do anything about it we'll have to get some judges with enough balls to kick lawsuits like that out.

What I'm saying is I am not sure you can stop it from happening if you tried, a dedicated kid will still find a way.
yeah,I always thought US-Laws are kind of strange in some cases...

that brings up the question:have kids ever since killed each other (in a way comparable to today?)like in mediavel times?or has our life changed so much that we are only facing a 2006 fact?

that brings up the question:have kids ever since killed each other (in a way comparable to today?)like in mediavel times?or has our life changed so much that we are only facing a 2006 fact?

Back then the kids were happy being with each other, Today it's like they are fighting to survive in a divided territory between each other which I think is quite stupid... But then I dont fight ( Much ;) ) so people who end up shooting up a school have no reason really... I mean look at other school shootings, They are shot up for the most retarded reasons, Like one kid shot up his school because his glasses got made fun of

So if I saw a kid walk into my school with a gun I would seriously punch him in the face then hold his arms where he couldnt move till the police guys came around

Hi....

This is my first post, and I just had to put something in here. I am originally from Germany. I can't believe that anything like that would happen in Germany. I always thought that the crazy ones were from Quebec, Canada.

The gunman here just didn't shot three people in a school, he shot and injured about 14. :(

Bush Lady said:
Hi....

This is my first post, and I just had to put something in here. I am originally from Germany. I can't believe that anything like that would happen in Germany. I always thought that the crazy ones were from Quebec, Canada.

The gunman here just didn't shot three people in a school, he shot and injured about 14. :(

Hi Bush Lady,welcome to TechSpot.
as you can see I`m new to this forum as well - enjoyed my stay so far,enjoy yours...

something like this happens several times each year in the United States. awhile back, where were 3 shootings in one week.

i went to high school with a kid who was actually planning to go shooting up the place. he ran his mouth off (outside of school) about it for years but no one took him seriously. after i graduated, he told the wrong people i guess and they contacted the chicago PD. they sent four officers to 'talk' to him one morning as he walked from his car to the building. they searched him and found 2 knives. a search of his car revealed several firearms, ammunition, knives, and a freakin' hand grenade.

Yet another tragedy of a young life lost.

How the hell did a young kid get hold of an AK-47 rifle? That could never happen here in the UK, or at least I hope not. Someone somewhere has to do something about the gun laws in the US.

The district attorney said it appears the gun came from a gun safe in the family home with multiple other firearms. The teen found some way to get the gun out of the safe, which is secured with two keys kept by his father John Halligan, Castor said.

Why the hell would anyone want an AK-47 assault rifle at home?

Regards Howard :(

I grew up in a home with an unlocked display case for my dad's rifles and shotguns (ammo in cabinets below), I never brought them to school and shot myself or anyone. I'd like to have an AK, I imagine they are pretty fun to shoot. I've got a Fausti over&under 20gauge shotgun I enjoy shooting clays with.

The failure here isn't the kid or his dad having an AK-47, or gun laws, the failure is his parents not bringing him up better.

Back