Scientists use a shadow network that's 100 times faster than Google Fiber

Justin Kahn

scientists google fiber

Internet speeds have come a long way for the average home user, but in many cases it is still too cumbersome and slow to transfer really large files back and forth. However, this isn't an issue for those who have access to the astonishingly fast Energy Sciences Network (ESnet). Scientists and NASA officials dealing with massive sets of data have access to a shadow network that is 100 times faster than Google's impressive Fiber initiative.

The private pipeline is supervised by the US Department of Energy and has recently demonstrated a cross country data transfer rate of 91 gigabits per second between Denver and Maryland, which is the fastest of its kind ever reported, according to Wired. The network is specifically reserved for what sounds like high level scientific teams that work with data sets from the Human Genome Project and the Large Hadron Collider.

scientists google fiber

There have previously been faster transfers benchmarked, but they were done over direct connections. Earlier this year Alcatel-Lucent and BT recorded a 1.4 terabit connection between London and Ipswich, but it was a direct one-to-one connection rather than a real world network of connected hubs like seen in the above image.

Wired writes that NASA and other researchers are using ESnet to actually test real world applications. The groups are said to use the blazing fast network to test out networking technologies that could end up on the internet we know, but from the sounds of it we are talking more about advanced scientific level networking tech. ESnet's goal is to push transfers speeds to as high as a terabit per second in the future and has already begun working on a 400 gigabit network.

Permalink to story.

Until they can let me use this network, they shouldn't be comparing this to anything out there this is commercially available. I mean, c'mon....

Until they can let me use this network, they shouldn't be comparing this to anything out there this is commercially available. I mean, c'mon....

Bugatti Veyron = US$2,700,000 is faster than BMW M3 Sedan = US$64,000...uhm so what?

There are 8 bits in a byte so 25 mbps is actually 3.125 MB/s. But yea that's a lot of money for 25mbps. I pay about $55/mo for 100 mbps.
There is a beginning and ending bit, making 10 total. Most people don't know about it, I know all about 8 bits in a byte ;), then someone spammed me with this new information.
Err I might be thinking of something else!

Does it run on the same infrastructure the general internet uses, or does it have its own?

If it runs on the same infrastructure the general net runs on, is it encrypted?

You guys are sure paying a lot of money for your connections, I have a 110mb cable connection for a 9,20€ a month which is roughly the same in dollars.

Because I initially thought that some 'shadowy scientists' use a network 100x faster than google fiber, I have to re-read the article. :)
on second thought, they are shadowy. :)

What is this "Fiber" you speak of? My internet here in the UK peaks at about 200 kb/s on steam downloads. The problem with living in the countryside...

You guys are sure paying a lot of money for your connections, I have a 110mb cable connection for a 9,20€ a month which is roughly the same in dollars.

this mean nothing without telling us what country you are in!

If you are in some small country in the middle of europe there is no comparsion to north america apples vs oranges friend.

lol guess I should expect this from a guest!

"But yea that's a lot of money for 25mbps. I pay about $55/mo for 100 mbps."[/quote]

What company charges only that amount? Here in Denver, Colorado our Metro area Officials were paid huge amounts of money to give "Comcast" (aka Comcrap!) the complete and total "Monopoly" so we can have only Cable Internet, and DSL (via bad Century Link over priced bundled deals) or through Comcast.

Why does this happen, it's because City Officials were paid huge amounts of money under the table to allow Comcast and Century Link (formally Qwest) to have these Monopoly's.

So, what company do you have for your $55 a month for 100MBPS please?

Good that they're experimenting with this, but we are one of the slowest Internet Speeds nations in the World, I traveled to Europe recently and most everyone is on Gigabit services, same for Asia when I traveled there.

Okay, question is?

When is Gigabit going to come across the whole United States, Google Fiber is moving as slow as a snail for it's Gigabit service only in a rare few areas, Utah, Texas, Missouri and a rare few other cities/areas and there are only 2 choices for the Denver Metro area of Colorado.

Comcast & Century Link and they're both $75 a month for "Internet Only" and both are way below 40MBPS in actual area tests, and the reliability (due to rain water getting into their lines) for Comcast is terrible.

What can be done about this? Nothing?

Back