TechSpot

Scientists use a shadow network that's 100 times faster than Google Fiber

By Justin Kahn
Jun 18, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Internet speeds have come a long way for the average home user, but in many cases it is still too cumbersome and slow to transfer really large files back and forth. However, this isn't an issue for those who have...

Read more

2. andrewdoyle88

andrewdoyle88 TS Rookie Posts: 19   +8

They can download the entire internet before my iTunes update downloads.

ikesmasher likes this.
  3. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 931   +248

Yeah and I am still dropping $130 a month for 2.5MBps (25mbps). :/

4. OneSpeed

OneSpeed TS Enthusiast Posts: 145   +32

Until they can let me use this network, they shouldn't be comparing this to anything out there this is commercially available. I mean, c'mon....

5. OneSpeed

OneSpeed TS Enthusiast Posts: 145   +32

Bugatti Veyron = US$2,700,000 is faster than BMW M3 Sedan = US$64,000...uhm so what?

6. TadMSTR

TadMSTR TS Rookie Posts: 19

There are 8 bits in a byte so 25 mbps is actually 3.125 MB/s. But yea that's a lot of money for 25mbps. I pay about $55/mo for 100 mbps.

7. LOL 25mbps does not mean 2.5MBps

8. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 931   +248

There is a beginning and ending bit, making 10 total. Most people don't know about it, I know all about 8 bits in a byte ;), then someone spammed me with this new information.
    Err I might be thinking of something else!

9. PC nerd

PC nerd TS Booster Posts: 328   +38

Does it run on the same infrastructure the general internet uses, or does it have its own?

If it runs on the same infrastructure the general net runs on, is it encrypted?

10. You guys are sure paying a lot of money for your connections, I have a 110mb cable connection for a 9,20€ a month which is roughly the same in dollars.

11. gooner4life

gooner4life TS Rookie

$130 for 25mbs I pay less than that for my whole cable package here in Scotland

12. misor

misor TS Maniac Posts: 1,026   +154

Because I initially thought that some 'shadowy scientists' use a network 100x faster than google fiber, I have to re-read the article. :)
    on second thought, they are shadowy. :)

13. hopgop1

hopgop1 TS Enthusiast Posts: 192   +22

What is this "Fiber" you speak of? My internet here in the UK peaks at about 200 kb/s on steam downloads. The problem with living in the countryside...

14. Lionvibez

Lionvibez TS Enthusiast Posts: 620   +97

this mean nothing without telling us what country you are in!

If you are in some small country in the middle of europe there is no comparsion to north america apples vs oranges friend.

lol guess I should expect this from a guest!

15. I class my BMW M3 as a Coupe and its 100% money well spent.

16. ???, 10 bit??, parity bits doesnt count.... you`re faker......

17. Start and stop bits ended with 56k modems.

18. P3771T

P3771T TS Rookie

WOW when is that technology going public?

19. JackJohnson4577

JackJohnson4577 TS Rookie

"But yea that's a lot of money for 25mbps. I pay about $55/mo for 100 mbps."[/quote]

What company charges only that amount? Here in Denver, Colorado our Metro area Officials were paid huge amounts of money to give "Comcast" (aka Comcrap!) the complete and total "Monopoly" so we can have only Cable Internet, and DSL (via bad Century Link over priced bundled deals) or through Comcast.

Why does this happen, it's because City Officials were paid huge amounts of money under the table to allow Comcast and Century Link (formally Qwest) to have these Monopoly's.

So, what company do you have for your $55 a month for 100MBPS please?

20. JackJohnson4577

JackJohnson4577 TS Rookie

Good that they're experimenting with this, but we are one of the slowest Internet Speeds nations in the World, I traveled to Europe recently and most everyone is on Gigabit services, same for Asia when I traveled there.

Okay, question is?

When is Gigabit going to come across the whole United States, Google Fiber is moving as slow as a snail for it's Gigabit service only in a rare few areas, Utah, Texas, Missouri and a rare few other cities/areas and there are only 2 choices for the Denver Metro area of Colorado.

Comcast & Century Link and they're both $75 a month for "Internet Only" and both are way below 40MBPS in actual area tests, and the reliability (due to rain water getting into their lines) for Comcast is terrible.

What can be done about this? Nothing?

21. If you're not willing to share don't bring it up.

22. Nilbud

Nilbud TS Rookie Posts: 17

You failed to take into account handshaking and packaging losses.

amstech likes this.
  23. Nilbud

Nilbud TS Rookie Posts: 17

No

amstech likes this.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.