TechSpot

Screen Automatically Dims and Brightens

By JesseM
Mar 20, 2009
  1. I recently upgraded my video card to a 9500gt 512 with native HDMI out. Now I use my 26" Panasonic HDTV instead of a computer monitor.

However, I have one little issue. My screen seems to automatically dim and brighten depending on how much light and dark space is on the screen. For instance, if I pull up a blank white notepad, the screen will dim (quite dramatically).

I have all my graphics card drivers up to date. I have the nVidia software installed and took a thorough look through the options, but there were no settings that had anything to do with auto-dim/brighten. This leads me to think the TV is the culprit. Anybody have any ideas about how I can stop this phenomenon?

I wouldn't mind the auto-dim/brighten feature, but I am a photographer which requires that I have a monitor with constant (and relatively accurate) monitor brightness, color, contrast, etc. when editing photos.

2. MetalX

MetalX TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,388

It's probably the TV's dynamic contrast feature. TVs and LCD monitors use these features so that they can advertise insane contrast ratios like 50,000:1 to appear "better" than the competition.

You should be able to turn it off in the TV options somewhere.

3. JesseM

JesseM TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 219

Thanks MetalX, that is probably the case. Unfortunately, I can't find any option to shut off such a feature. Time to start looking for an online manual!

4. konus

konus TS Rookie

Hi Jessie,
    got the same problem, same card (but 1 giga) and a Sony KDL-40W5500.
    Have you solved the problem???

Thanks,
    Konus

5. JesseM

JesseM TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 219

konus: I never did fix my problem. I figure my HDTV is not sophisticated enough to disable the dynamic contrast feature that is giving me problems. Whenever I need to do some serious photo editing I will temporarily switch monitors to my calibrated 21" LCD monitor, or use my calibrated laptop.

You should check through your TV's menu for a "dynamic contrast" feature to turn off, but if you don't find one (like me) it looks like there's nothing really that can be done.

Good luck!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.