Screen goes blank after windows splash screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

cookiemoose

Hi

When rebooting my computer, after the windows splash screen the screen just goes blank. A few days ago I put back an old Nvidia Ti4200 card into the machine (which has previously worked fine on it). It booted up with no problems. However, now it just won't boot (it's probably the second time it's had to boot with this card). The only think I can think of is that I tried installing the latest nvidia drivers which crashed (however it had not yet started copying the files).

Any ideas?

EDIT: Nevermind managed to fix it, the VGA drivers were corrupt

cookiemoose said:
Hi

When rebooting my computer, after the windows splash screen the screen just goes blank. A few days ago I put back an old Nvidia Ti4200 card into the machine (which has previously worked fine on it). It booted up with no problems. However, now it just won't boot (it's probably the second time it's had to boot with this card). The only think I can think of is that I tried installing the latest nvidia drivers which crashed (however it had not yet started copying the files).

Any ideas?
I'd say that faulty install was probably to blame. If you haven't already, try going into Safe Mode and doing a system restore (if you're using XP). Otherwise, I'm not sure at the moment.

cookiemoose said:
EDIT: Nevermind managed to fix it, the VGA drivers were corrupt
I had the same problem yesterday after installing the new Omega drivers for my ATi 9700 Pro. But, I had played games several times and rebooted several times without problem. I thought my computer was totally hosed, but, as ymmotrojam said to do, I just booted into safe mode and rolled back to the previous drivers, (uninstalled and reinstalled them too, just to be safe). That fixed the problem. I've used Omega drivers for a long tiime now, and that's the first time I've ever had a problem with them.

Glad you got your problem fixed.

Cookiemoose, if you fix something don't go back and edit your original post, just add a followup post next time. Thanks.

Windows goes blank after Startup.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As said in the title, my windows goes blank, black screen that is, after the windows logo startup. I dont know wtf happen but this sh*$ is aggravating me. Last known activities were:
>Defragging
>Removing b.s programs
>and Moving media files (i.e audio and video)
I did all these activities in "SAFE MODE". After I "START WINDOWS NORMALLY" it appear to remain on "SAFE MODE". I repeated this a number of times, and the same thing happened. My contingency was to start on "LAST KNOWN GOOD CONFIGURATION". After i selected this option, windows loaded normally, up untill after the windows logo, after which the screen became blank (Black). Although screen is blank, i could still navigate "blind".
Starting windows and shutting it down are about the only things i can do blindfolded. I dont have a windows xp cd, my computer was bought in 04'. I need some hardcore help.

I didn't put the two together right away because it worked fine for a couple of restarts, however, then the screen on this XPS M1210 went blank as described above. The culprit turned out to be the installation of Service Pack 3 (SP3). Apparently during clean-up, the tech working on the issue thought the installer froze, or was in a loop as it was "Cleaning up" for the better part of an hour. They force quit and then restarted to find that SP3 was installed and there were no error messages reported. They thought their job was done and the case was closed until the startup problem arose.

I had to go back and figure out the problem and decided to use System Restore to roll-back to a date prior to SP3 being installed. That completed successfully, I then reinstalled SP3-- this time I waited the hour for the clean up to finally complete. I then rebooted the system and it started up fine. Since then I have restarted multiple times and it looks good so far (it's been 3 days). Updating the video drivers will not work and you will be wasting your time trying to find another fix...I hope it works for you!
-MR

I am having the blank screen problem,, since installing xp, it runs a ubuntu disk from disk, no problem, during install it mentioned missing sp2.cab cleaned the disk, installed ok, now the blank screen after splash, sometimes desktop would open , but only for a few seconds, tried quickly to get to properties to lower resolution, succeeded in doing that but still the screen would go blank, no time to download anything, reseated video card ,still problem, still works with ubuntu disk. tried safe mode , enable vga, so ? corrupted drivers? should I borrow another xp install, this is on a server my son built for my daughter,

is the corrupted driver in xp disk or setup boot disks?

if you have a xp cd, I think you do not need boot disk or do you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back