Screen position issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimonSiknasty

I was restarting my computer just earlier, and for some reason, as it turned on again, the screen moved to the right by about 2 inches. I used the monitor controls on the screen (the horizontal position was at the default 50) and put the horizontal position down to 0. This put the screen over to almost normal. However, it's still out of place by about 20 pixels or so.

I'm running my ASUS VW223B 22 inch through my nVidia 9500GT (VGA if that helps. I have USB EzLink plugged in but disabled. When I use EzLink, the screen alignment is perfect.

Thanks in advance.

Did you upgrade the video drivers by any chance?

I had similar issues with a GeForce 6600GT a few years ago. The nVidia control panel would mess up the screen adjustment settings on almost every update. My solution was to manually readjust the screen using the nVidia control panel rather than the monitor's settings.

P.S. In my case the issue was easily identified as an OS/driver related one because I was dual booting Ubuntu and my screen alignment there never changed. You could always try a live CD to see if this applies to your case as well.

So should I reinstall my GPU driver via. the CD that came with it? I believe that the driver on the CD is still up-to-date.

If you have a similar issue the driver reinstall would be overkill (and probably useless as well) because this is (was) not a problem with the driver per se but rather with the update process messing up the settings. Just open the nVidia control panel and adjust the screen from there.

To open the nVidia CP you should click the corresponding (aka. nVidia) icon in your system tray or right click on the desktop and select... nVidia CP from the menu. :p If you're still using Windows XP it should also be accessible via the 'Advanced' tab of the Display Settings configuration window (aka. the place where you set the resolution and color depth for your monitor). I've no idea if this latter access option is available on Vista or 7.

I'm afraid I can't really navigate you through the CP options because I don't have any nVidia-using computers around at the moment and I've not messed around with one in a long time either. :(

Well, I just reinstalled my GPU drivers, then did the normal restart after install: no change.
However, I turned off my computer for the night, then turning it on this morning, the screen had a couple of inches black on the right side.

The internal error had obviously been fixed, and I simply used the monitor controls to return the horizontal positioning to the default 50.

warning - you may be looking at imminent failure of monitor or video card. In your shoes I would be doing my level best to determine which of the two. Next time it goes 'funny' is it possible to plug in a different monitor without restarting your PC? Also the ezlink (a usb network card is it?) Does moving it have any effect ? It might be producing RF interference. Is it self-powered or sharing a power supply with the monitor in any way? Are you using a UPS?

The EzLink is a USB 2.0 that goes from my monitor to the computer. It is for the 3 USB slots in the side of my screen. However, I uninstalled the DisplayLink which I thought could be causing the issue. After I uninstalled, the USB worked still (which is what I thought the DisplayLink was for). Turns out, that the computer thought that I had two monitors plugged in, because of the USB running through DisplayLink / EzLink, and the VGA through my GPU. So now, my computer recognises only one monitor (good) and the screen is in the right position (great). If that is the answer you were looking for?

Yes and no. Ezlink seems to cover quite a lot of things, including ticket machines on buses (!), and my thought was just that as a USB device, it will draw power. You would easily exceed the power available via a USB connector, and might get the kind of problems you see.

I would hope the ezlink has it's own power supply, and if not, buy one.

The question about the UPS is more or less on the same lines - in general, a USB covers you during a power-out, but many models are a good deal less reliable then the mains on a 24/7 power supply basis and especially in providing a clean, unvarying supply. Variable supply could then produce the symptoms you saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back