Screentendo transforms your computer screen into a Super Mario Bros. level

Shawn Knight

Staff member

screentendo mario super mario bros gaming mac found

If you’ve ever found yourself needing a quick break during the work day and happen to be near a computer, maybe you should give Screentendo a try. This desktop add-on from developer Aaron Randall lets you transform a section of your screen it into a playable Super Mario Bros. level. How sweet is that?

The only drawback is that you’ll need a Mac as it isn't compatible with PCs.

If you’re wanting to mess around with it yourself, Randall has uploaded the source code to Github. Keep in mind that this is a proof-of-concept at best and there are some shortcomings. For example, image processing isn’t all that fast and you’ll get the best results with contrasty images like big, bold letters against a white background.

Any bets on how long it'll take Nintendo to shut this down?

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

I'm sad that it only works on Macs.

I would guess that Nintendo would not care since they aren't making money off of it and it doesn't make Nintendo look bad.

First, Windows reverted on us with the square tiles from the 90-ies. Now all we need is a CGI monitor, and we are back where it all started.

First, Windows reverted on us with the square tiles from the 90-ies. Now all we need is a CGI monitor, and we are back where it all started.
We can all start using AOL again for their modern Windows 8 style interface
900x900px-LL-6e8ce1cc_AOL1996-Windows82012.png

We can all start using AOL again for their modern Windows 8 style interface
900x900px-LL-6e8ce1cc_AOL1996-Windows82012.png
There was a thing called Simple Finder for Macs in the early 90s, however I can't find ANY screenshots of it (I've looked on and off over the years when these discussions come up). There was something similar to Simple Finder called At Ease that had single click buttons:
atease.png

Back