? Sdram ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, Can you put SDRAM (OLD sdram) into an P4C800-E Deluxe. Cant find the answer anywhere, says supported ram:

DDR-SDRAM.... now can it hold both or just DDR? confusing....

thanks

Just DDR - the slots are keyed differently. If you try to force regular SDRAM into a DDR slot, you will break the motherboard. Or memory. Or both. Probably.

lol. I wouldn't try with the forcing lol.

You know, depending on what speeds you want of RAM (considering you want to use slow old ram) it's quite cheap. Under £70 for 512MB of PC3200 RAM by Kingmax. Now that is pretty good. Or £35 for PC3700 256mb RAM which is fast!!

Thanks

aw.... Thanks for your replies ^^. lol, i would probably break my leg doing that as well (im really unlucky :/ lol)

Anyway, thanks for the help, the thing was i wanna get a good motherboard without having to buy anything else since it'll have a new AGP 8x slot instead of the 4x slot my mobos got now. also i can use my new WD hard drive (my mobo dont support UltraATA (or DMA or whatever) :/. i can also get Kingmax 512DDR from ebay for £40 (approx) lol.

Also, i have a 2.0Ghz Intel type: 586. Would this work in this new mobo?

- thanks

DDR-SDRAM is DDR RAM.

Plus you must remember, SDRAM runs very slowly, at much slower speeds then DDR, and even if you could use it, it would make your PC much slower, becasue the whole Front Side Bus (FSB) would slow down to the speed of the SDRAM, probably 100 or 133MHz. To give you some comparison, a P4 2.4C/2.8C/3.0C, runs at 800MHz FSB (Thats the model "C" p4s). The front side bus would go from 800MHz to 100 or 133MHz.

oh i see, sp the FSB of the Processor is Proportional to the Rate of the Memory installed?

ohhh i get it now, so if i were to upgrade my motherboard, i would have to buy new ddr ram and a new CPU? (i dont think my cpu can handle 400mhz FSB? can it? i think its like, Genuine intel stepping-model 586 or something... running at 110 FSB, i noticed when i clocked the frequency with my award bios it upped the memory frequency... i think im starting to understand ^^...

basically if i upgrade my mobo what would i have to upgrade (apart from my access memry)

- thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back