Seagate 250GB SATA HDD problem

By Darien42
Feb 5, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey there,

I recently picked up a Seagate 250 GB SATA HDD (model number: ST3250824AS). When I installed it, I did as I was exactly told. I disconnected the power and turned of the system, plugged the SATA cable from the HDD to the motherboard (I have an ASUS P4P800 motherboard), hooked up the power cable from the power supply to the HDD and closed the case up. When I powered up the system, Windows (I'm using XP Professional) recognized the HDD and added it to the device manager... but the problem is; its there is no icon displayed in My Computer. I dont know what to make of it. Could it be something with Windows? Any feed back would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  2. JMMD

JMMD TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,177

Did you go into Disk Manager to initialize the drive, create a partition and format the drive?
  3. Darien42

Darien42 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 17

I went into Disk Manager but couldnt find how to initiate the drive. It says the device is working properly and that it is enabled. However, when I access the Volumes Tab under the ST3250824AS Properties, I click populate and it says that its not initialized. how would I go about initializing it?
  4. iss

iss TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,896

First fo all you are in the wrong place. there is no "volumes tab" in disk managemnt. thee is however a volumes tab in device manager.

to get to disk management go to adminstrative tools\computer management\disk management there you can right click ont he drive and partition it and format it. then it will show up in windows
  5. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,067   +13

Windows XP requires SATA drivers. You must install the drivers that came with the drive.
    I hope you have a floppy drive.
    Floppys are still required for low-level machine use.
    BIOS updates, etc....
  6. Samstoned

Samstoned TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,582

iss is correct
    if you see the drive ,then you don't need drivers
    it can be something as simple as giving it a letter
    do as iss says and add a vol. letter drive letter
    same place you can format if your software did not do that already
  7. N3051M

N3051M Newcomer, in training Posts: 2,800

8. br6205

br6205 Newcomer, in training

May I barg in here 2 years later. I have a new Seadate Sata HD, 300GIG, the computer recognizes the HD but Win XP does not.I want to get generic SATA driver for it.
  9. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

10. dtor

dtor Newcomer, in training

Hello

Hi all. My name is Dave and am glad to be here on techspot. I'm not a stranger to computers but nor am I a technician so there is much I am will need to ask questions about.

I hope to have a good techy relationship with you all.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.